Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony E 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS (Sony NEX) - Review / Lens Test Report
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1311774190' post='10261']

Well, regarding the focal length and aperture range it is viable to assume that we are talking about a lens in the 300-400$/EUR league which basically complements the 18-55 kit zoom. It is likely to see double lens kit offerings thereafter.

That all said - if you want more options ... consider MFT. It will take Sony a long while to reach that level of offerings.

[/quote]

Have already considered MFT; my original choice was Nikon D5100. Apparently the NEX sensor provides similar resolution and low light capability, the camera is more portable than D5100, and IMHO with adapters is more flexible and better suited for use with telescope, or microscope. Think I'll stick with my choice of NEX 5 and wait for additional lenses. Thanks for your help. BTW - It was these two videos that switched my thinking away from D5100 to NEX 5: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqSoZ4MHxk&NR=1%20%3Chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqSoZ4MHxk&NR=1%3E"]A Handful of NEX Adpators[/url] and [url="http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/"]Adam Roberts' tips and tricks[/url]
[quote name='boxcorner' timestamp='1311780739' post='10263']

Have already considered MFT; my original choice was Nikon D5100. Apparently the NEX sensor provides similar resolution and low light capability, the camera is more portable than D5100, and IMHO with adapters is more flexible and better suited for use with telescope, or microscope. Think I'll stick with my choice of NEX 5 and wait for additional lenses. Thanks for your help. BTW - It was these two videos that switched my thinking away from D5100 to NEX 5: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqSoZ4MHxk&NR=1%20%3Chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqSoZ4MHxk&NR=1%3E"]A Handful of NEX Adpators[/url] and [url="http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/"]Adam Roberts' tips and tricks[/url]

[/quote]

Yes, the NEX is an adapter wonderland. I'm referring to it as "poor man's Leica" although it's technically superior already.

The new peaking function seems to work pretty well with those adapted lenses.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1311787763' post='10264']

Yes, the NEX is an adapter wonderland. I'm referring to it as "poor man's Leica" although it's technically superior already.

The new peaking function seems to work pretty well with those adapted lenses.

[/quote]

I have a "poor man's Leica" ... Contax G2, so plan to use my 35mm T* f2; am currently researching best adapter.
[quote name='boxcorner' timestamp='1311790534' post='10267']

I have a "poor man's Leica" ... Contax G2, so plan to use my 35mm T* f2; am currently researching best adapter.

[/quote]

What I can say already - the Zeiss ZM 28/2.8 is not that great on the NEX. The ZM 35/2.8 is also somewhat disappointing.

Could be a sensor thing.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1311793406' post='10268']

What I can say already - the Zeiss ZM 28/2.8 is not that great on the NEX. The ZM 35/2.8 is also somewhat disappointing.

Could be a sensor thing.

[/quote]

Curious. Think I'll try the Fotodiox adapter; I know there are cheaper alternatives available on eBay, but on Amazon there's a photo of the exact same Contax lens actually mounted on a NEX 5, that speaks volumes.
[quote name='boxcorner' timestamp='1311797227' post='10269']

Curious. Think I'll try the Fotodiox adapter; I know there are cheaper alternatives available on eBay, but on Amazon there's a photo of the exact same Contax lens actually mounted on a NEX 5, that speaks volumes.

[/quote]

The best adapters are the "Metabones" - at least for Leica M. Things may be different for Contax G though.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1311833589' post='10275']

The best adapters are the "Metabones" - at least for Leica M. Things may be different for Contax G though.

[/quote]

Thanks. I have watched the Metabones video on YouTube, and seen the photo on eBay (search: Metabones Contax G To Sony NEX E-mount). IMHO: (re ergonomics) the large black focussing ring would be overkill for my lens, though perhaps it's necessary for larger lenses, and (re aesthetics) looks rather ugly. IMHO, re Fotoviox (on Amazon search: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Contax G Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount), aesthetically it looks more elegant - more in keeping with my 35mm lens - its smaller focussing ring might not be so good ergonomically, though. Prices seem similar. Perhaps with Metabones, the lens is mounted closer to the sensor. Does anyone know?
[quote name='boxcorner' timestamp='1311838739' post='10280']

Thanks. I have watched the Metabones video on YouTube, and seen the photo on eBay (search: Metabones Contax G To Sony NEX E-mount). IMHO: (re ergonomics) the large black focussing ring would be overkill for my lens, though perhaps it's necessary for larger lenses, and (re aesthetics) looks rather ugly. IMHO, re Fotoviox (on Amazon search: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Contax G Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount), aesthetically it looks more elegant - more in keeping with my 35mm lens - its smaller focussing ring might not be so good ergonomically, though. Prices seem similar. Perhaps with Metabones, the lens is mounted closer to the sensor. Does anyone know?

[/quote]

The Fotoviox adapter guarantees infinity focus according to their website - so that's just fine.

Seems to be identical to the "Kipon" adapters, isn't it ? Possibly a rebranded version.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1311843022' post='10283']

The Fotoviox adapter guarantees infinity focus according to their website - so that's just fine.

Seems to be identical to the "Kipon" adapters, isn't it ? Possibly a rebranded version.

[/quote]

Yes, they do look remarkably similar, maybe the same manufacturer. Kipon is currently a lot more expensive though, as Fotodiox have slashed their prices. Think I'll also buy their Canon EOS to NEX E adapter, which has a built-in tripod mount, so I can use my Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX.