Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax lenses - Imatest results comparable between 16 and 10 mp reviews?
A probably silly question.

Are the imatest results comparable between 10mp and 16mp sections in the lens reviews, pentax section?

I was particularly interested in how the following lenses performed:

Pentax SMC-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL (Reviewed in 10mp format)

Pentax SMC-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL (10mp)

Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR (16mp)

Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL (16mp)

The DA 18-55mm WR (a kit lens) would seem to outperform the much raved about 16-45 SMC-DA.

I am aware that the WR is a 2nd generation pentax kit lens, and pentax kits are normally deemed pretty good, but I am guessing that the imatest difference might be due to the WR having been tested at 16mp.

Am I correct?

Also, is anybody aware of any differences between the pentax and samsung versions of the 16-45 and the 18-55 WR?

I found a pretty good price on the Samsung branded ones and, if there are no known QA issues with Samsung, I would rather go for those and save some money.

Thank you very much!

Aldo
Numerically the tests are not comparable - neither here nor elsewhere.

If you just take the visual representation of the MTF they are ROUGHLY comparable.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1309839816' post='9741']

Numerically the tests are not comparable - neither here nor elsewhere.

If you just take the visual representation of the MTF they are ROUGHLY comparable.

[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying Klaus, much appreciated.

I see what you mean by saying that the bar charts might be roughly comparable, as the max LW/PH value achievable stays the same for all 10mp tests and then for all 16mp tests.
[quote name='Saldo' timestamp='1309857652' post='9747']

Thanks for clarifying Klaus, much appreciated.

I see what you mean by saying that the bar charts might be roughly comparable, as the max LW/PH value achievable stays the same for all 10mp tests and then for all 16mp tests.

[/quote]

Actually I meant that they are roughly comparable if you simply ignore the LW/PH numbers and just "look at the graph".
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1309889445' post='9756']

Actually I meant that they are roughly comparable if you simply ignore the LW/PH numbers and just "look at the graph".

[/quote]

Hi Klaus, thanks for clarifying.

Sorry, bad wording on my part, that's actually what I had understood.

Given the max possible value in the graph is the resolution limit of the testing sensor, the physical height of the bars can be used for a rough comparison betweeen lenses when tested on different sensors, while the actual values are only useful to compare performance when tested with the same system/sensor.
Klaus, if that other think we talked about would ever materialize, I can add an old Pentax lens [url="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1009707/0#9705287"]which perform superbly on 18MP[/url].