Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dpreview on the Panasonic G3
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg3/

Nice cam. Too bad they removed the most effective image stabilization (OIS) mode 2. Even my GF1 features mode 2 and it is clearly better than mode 1 (mode 1 is termed "normal" for the G3). And the missing eye sensor to automatically switch from LCD to viewfinder display is also bound to annoy some.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1310554744' post='9966']

[url="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg3/"]http://www.dpreview....panasonicdmcg3/[/url]

Nice cam. Too bad they removed the most effective image stabilization (OIS) mode 2. Even my GF1 features mode 2 and it is clearly better than mode 1 (mode 1 is termed "normal" for the G3). And the missing eye sensor to automatically switch from LCD to viewfinder display is also bound to annoy some.

[/quote]

Well, there needs to be something to differentiate it from the GH-2.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1310557469' post='9967']Well, there needs to be something to differentiate it from the GH-2.[/quote]

That´s what they did with the video features anyway. But the OIS shouldn´t be subjected to crippling. No mode 2 simply causes softness of images under certain conditions, it´s a basic feature, and as such untouchable.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1310561519' post='9968']

That´s what they did with the video features anyway. But the OIS shouldn´t be subjected to crippling. No mode 2 simply causes softness of images under certain conditions, it´s a basic feature, and as such untouchable.

[/quote]

The DSLR competition doesn't really offer something like mode two (for optical IS) so I reckon they didn't really feel it to be an important issue.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1310565216' post='9969']The DSLR competition doesn't really offer something like mode two (for optical IS) so I reckon they didn't really feel it to be an important issue.[/quote]

For those cams, which feature mode 2, Panasonic actually explained why it is the more effective and in most cases preferable OIS mode to use. With my Pana 100-300 on the GF1 it´s just like that, mode 1 tends to yield softer results. At 600 mm focal length the system is a pretty sensitive shake detector :-)
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1310565216' post='9969']The DSLR competition doesn't really offer something like mode two (for optical IS) so I reckon they didn't really feel it to be an important issue.[/quote]

Just looked at a description of the Nikon VR mechanism. At least in terms of activation mode 2 is similar to the "in lens" image stabilization employed by most manufacturers. Mode 1 is a (less effective) Panasonic special.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1310568307' post='9972']

Just looked at a description of the Nikon VR mechanism. At least in terms of activation mode 2 is similar to the "in lens" image stabilization employed by most manufacturers. Mode 1 is a (less effective) Panasonic special.

[/quote]

I thought mode 2 refers to the activation of the IS just prior of the shutter release (as opposed to the shutter button activation on Canon/Nikon) ? Maybe I'm wrong.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1310568628' post='9973']

I thought mode 2 refers to the activation of the IS just prior of the shutter release (as opposed to the shutter button activation on Canon/Nikon) ? Maybe I'm wrong.

[/quote]

It is as Klaus describes on my Lumix TZ-3. Mode 1 runs all the time, to stabilise the viewer image, mode 2 just starts before picture taking. If you use a Panasonic OIS lens on a Olympus mFT camera, you only get mode 1.

To my surprise, I read some discussions (I forgot the link) that on mFT some users experience Mode 1 is more efficient. It is definitely more convenient.

j.
enjoy
[quote name='joachim' timestamp='1310570882' post='9975']

It is as Klaus describes on my Lumix TZ-3. Mode 1 runs all the time, to stabilise the viewer image, mode 2 just starts before picture taking. If you use a Panasonic OIS lens on a Olympus mFT camera, you only get mode 1. [/quote]

Mode 2 is activated when you press the shutter release, which moves according to Panasonic the "OIS lens block" more quickly into position and "offers a greater degree of image stabilization". Mode 1 is simply OIS always "on", it´s basically a mode for video. However, mode 1 kind of freezes the image on the display, which may help framing/focusing when you shake badly (convenience...), but for image stabilization when taking stills it is definitely inferior to mode 2 regardless of eventual claims to the contrary somewhere on the web. Now, compared to the GH2 Pana has taken out some of the more advanced video features but kept the OIS mode for video while killing the OIS mode for stills. Profoundly unsound thinking IMHO.

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/...egaOIS.asp
Having seen the newest showings from Sony and Olympus, this looks like the best combination of size, quality and price with viewfinder included to me.

Before I sell my 400D (or at least the lens) etc., could anybody enlighten me about why mode 1 gives worse image quality (apart from wearing down the lens faster)?