Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on GND filters on super-wide angle lenses
I bought a set of 85x110mm Hitech GND filters and a P-typw Cokin filter holder. I found that the set does not work well on my AF-S 16-35mm F4 lens, which causes heavy dark shades from about 26mm downward. From the Cokin document I read that Cokin has a wide-angle holder but it appears that the wide-angle holder only works down to 20mm. According to the document, only the X-PRO series of holders can work down to the 16mm, but the X-PRO holder takes filters of 130mm width. Here I have a few questions:

1. Do I really need the huge X-PRO filters and holder for my 16-35mm lens? Is there a smaller holder that work with the lens at the 16mm end?

2. What do you do when you use square GND filters with a super-wide angle lens? Is hand-holding is a common approach?

3. If I have to hand-hold the filter, is long-time exposure a problem? Will the movement of the filter affect the quality of the image? For hand-holding, is a 85-110mm filter too smaller?

Any comments and advices are welcome.

Best regards,

Frank
Don't they make filters that screw on to the thread of the lens?
[quote name='edge' timestamp='1309268915' post='9599']

Don't they make filters that screw on to the thread of the lens?

[/quote]

I don't like the screw GND filter since the position of transition cannot be adjusted freely.
… i don't know if this will help here but maybe …here is an example of nd vignetting adjusted three ways for full frame @16mm ff -

- i've only ever taken two shots with this 10 stop nd b&w filter, this is the second one -

- so, a screw in filter without the grad or the flat handheld hitech + seagulls flew in front of the camera at the time - so movement maybe not so much of a problem, but handheld, the grad and reflections or flare maybe a worry -

1635za @ 16mm, f10 & 5sec - soldiers beach looking south -

vg correction in c1 and highlight/shadow correction in Ps -

[Image: i-vTHXnVhOi.jpg]

no vg correction but h/s correction inPs -

[Image: i-zpxBZKV-O.jpg]

no vg correction or h/s, just levels -

[Image: i-WGPzZHm-O.jpg]

. . . hopefully almost anything's possible
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1309266934' post='9598']

I bought a set of 85x110mm Hitech GND filters and a P-typw Cokin filter holder. I found that the set does not work well on my AF-S 16-35mm F4 lens, which causes heavy dark shades from about 26mm downward. From the Cokin document I read that Cokin has a wide-angle holder but it appears that the wide-angle holder only works down to 20mm. According to the document, only the X-PRO series of holders can work down to the 16mm, but the X-PRO holder takes filters of 130mm width. Here I have a few questions:

1. Do I really need the huge X-PRO filters and holder for my 16-35mm lens? Is there a smaller holder that work with the lens at the 16mm end?

2. What do you do when you use square GND filters with a super-wide angle lens? Is hand-holding is a common approach?

3. If I have to hand-hold the filter, is long-time exposure a problem? Will the movement of the filter affect the quality of the image? For hand-holding, is a 85-110mm filter too smaller?

Any comments and advices are welcome.

Best regards,

Frank

[/quote]

You didn't specify what camera format you are using, though I presume it's FF.

Yes, I expect you would get vignetting at 16mm on FF.

With a Canon 10-22 on a crop camera, P-size works with a single slot, i..e this would be the wide-angle adapter.

http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Vignetting

You can make your own wide-angle adapter by just cutting off two slots.

I can't comment how well it will work for 16-35 on FF, but it should be roughly similar.

If you want more flexibility, then indeed you need to get the larger filters.
[quote name='anyscreenamewilldo' timestamp='1309329329' post='9606']

… i don't know if this will help here but maybe …here is an example of nd vignetting adjusted three ways for full frame @16mm ff -

- i've only ever taken two shots with this 10 stop nd b&w filter, this is the second one -

- so, a screw in filter without the grad or the flat handheld hitech + seagulls flew in front of the camera at the time - so movement maybe not so much of a problem, but handheld, the grad and reflections or flare maybe a worry -

1635za @ 16mm, f10 & 5sec - soldiers beach looking south -

vg correction in c1 and highlight/shadow correction in Ps -

[Image: i-vTHXnVhOi.jpg]

no vg correction but h/s correction inPs -

[Image: i-zpxBZKV-O.jpg]

no vg correction or h/s, just levels -

[Image: i-WGPzZHm-O.jpg]

. . . hopefully almost anything's possible

[/quote]

Thank you for your advices! The pics are beautiful!

Frank
[quote name='photonius' timestamp='1309345916' post='9612']

You didn't specify what camera format you are using, though I presume it's FF.

Yes, I expect you would get vignetting at 16mm on FF.

With a Canon 10-22 on a crop camera, P-size works with a single slot, i..e this would be the wide-angle adapter.

http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Vignetting

You can make your own wide-angle adapter by just cutting off two slots.

I can't comment how well it will work for 16-35 on FF, but it should be roughly similar.

If you want more flexibility, then indeed you need to get the larger filters.

[/quote]

Thank you for your advice and share of experience! I will try the P-size holder with one slot and hope that it will work with the 16mm. Yes, my camera is D700, FF.

Any way, I guess that if I want to use the GND with a screw-in CPL filter I always need to handhold the GND filter since otherwise as I rotate the GND holder the CPL will rotate together.

Frank
If it is of any help, on Canon FF I use Z-Pro filters for anything below ~24 mm - works well.

HTH, warm regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
You should either use Lee Standard or Cokin Z-Pro filters. The filters come in 4" x 6" or 4" x 4".

I used to own a single-slot P filter holder, but replaced it with a multi-slot Lee Standard holder not too long ago.
wim & thm:

Thank you for your kind response. I also want to buy Cokin Z-Pro filters or the Lee standard, but I could not find the Cokin Z-Pro holders or the Lee standard holders. They seem to be out of stock in every shop. After some search, I can only find the Hitech MK4 holder, which looks good but does not take other filters like Cokin and Lee. I don't know if this is serious restriction.

Best regards,

Frank