Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to select "Best of" lenses?
Hi,

I'm new to photozone and would like to know if there is a simple way to list all the "best of" lenses, sorted by manufacturer? Currently, it looks to me as if one has to navigate into each review to the last page to get the rating (price, build etc.).

BR
Obviously, and somehow intrinsic to the term "best lens of XXXX" there is

the hidden question "best ... in which way ... and for what purpose?".

If I told you, the the EF 50/1.8 is the best Canon lens ... this would be entirely

the truth, at least from the viewpoint of optical quality per money spend. You

really cant beat the ratio produced by this lens. On the other side, this information

is completely irrelevant to you, if you need an ultrawide lens (or a tele lens).

You can eventually reduce the question to something like: For a given need (like portrait,

wide-anlge/landscape ... wildelife ... etc) what is "the best" (regardless of cost)....

and what is "the reasonable" (in terms of good quality but still affordable to mortals).

In the end, you get a list that tells you what you should buy, and what you would

buy (if you could) if (and only if) your interest is in one of the purposes named.

But reduced to what you asked ... "what is the best" ... you cannot really expect

a good answer.

just my 2cts ... Rainer

PS: welcome aboard.
[quote name='go4java' timestamp='1306344686' post='8811']

Hi,

I'm new to photozone and would like to know if there is a simple way to list all the "best of" lenses, sorted by manufacturer? Currently, it looks to me as if one has to navigate into each review to the last page to get the rating (price, build etc.).

BR

[/quote]

I had the same feeling when i first come to photozone.de

I do agree with rainer that there are just too many aspects to judge a lens.

But I also believe it'll be great to have a chart showing all the aspects, in a format like this:

(names hyperlink to review page)

name mftr optic.quality build quality price/performance suitable for

Xmm F2.8 canon **** *** **** macro

xmm F1.4 nikon **** **** *** portrait

or list out the price/mfd/filter size/weight/year of introduction/AF drive/etc.

or even break down the optic quality into: overall resolution/full open resolution/vignet./CA/bokeh/

Then new zoners can selectively navigate through these tremendously large and very valuable reviews.

And old zoners will have better management of the data as well.

james
[quote name='james' timestamp='1306435489' post='8836']

I had the same feeling when i first come to photozone.de

I do agree with rainer that there are just too many aspects to judge a lens.

But I also believe it'll be great to have a chart showing all the aspects, in a format like this:

(names hyperlink to review page)

name mftr optic.quality build quality price/performance suitable for

Xmm F2.8 canon **** *** **** macro

xmm F1.4 nikon **** **** *** portrait

or list out the price/mfd/filter size/weight/year of introduction/AF drive/etc.

or even break down the optic quality into: overall resolution/full open resolution/vignet./CA/bokeh/

Then new zoners can selectively navigate through these tremendously large and very valuable reviews.

And old zoners will have better management of the data as well.

james

[/quote]

In the pipeline, apparently...

Maybe check this thread out: http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...#entry8817

Have a look at screenshot I've posted (#3) and Klaus's response (#4)

Ian