Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth buying a Canon 5D mk1?
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1305371189' post='8316']

The difference between an image with a 50mm and a 56mm lens is neigh on impossible to determine, unless it is the same scene shot and showed side by side.

It is NOT true that the EF 50mm f1.8 has "better" IQ than the EF 28mm f1.8 USM or even the Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG. But you can think so anyway, of course.

It is fine, to want a 5D, I am not saying otherwise. But just pointing out some errors/misconceptions.

And I have pointed out the pros and cons.

On your lenses: Neither inexpensive EF-S zoom will work on the 5D, so they will need replacements too. Factor that in cost wise, to see if you can afford that. An EF 28-135mm IS USM is not very expensive, but getting the same tele reach with IS will cost some.

[/quote]

Yes I'm aware that EF-S lenses are not FF compatible. As for 50/1.8 vs 28/1.8, I've read a number of tests and reviews (PZ included) and they all show that 28/1.8's only strong feature is it's large 1.8 aperture...

Anyway, thank you for input!
[quote name='gunnar' timestamp='1305371470' post='8317']

Yes I'm aware that EF-S lenses are not FF compatible. As for 50/1.8 vs 28/1.8, I've read a number of tests and reviews (PZ included) and they all show that 28/1.8's only strong feature is it's large 1.8 aperture...

Anyway, thank you for input!

[/quote]

And yet, most 28mm f1.8 users swear by that little lens. Sometimes there is a disconnect between reviews based on measurements and actual use of the lens...

Pixel peeper can be of help, to determining the character of a lens (on FF, APS-C, or both):

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=37

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showp...t=2&page=2
[quote name='gunnar' timestamp='1305315757' post='8297']

Hi all! I've got a crazy idea of buying a classic Canon 5D camera. Any reason I shoudn't? I'm desperate of switching to FF from 1.6 crop (canon 500D), but spending £2000 on 5D2 is not an option, I'm not that serious into photography.

Most critical points for me are

1. FF for wide angle photo. 5D ticks this one obviously

2. Good high ISO performance. Now, is it anything comparable to that of 5D Mark II?

Are there any drawbacks which would have stopped you from buying this camera if you were considering it?

Please post your opinions!

[/quote]

I have switched about six or seven month back from a 50D to a 5D Mark II.

I did it for shallow dof, better noise performance and to use large aperture WA lenses. I just love my 28/1.8 on the 5D Amrk II. If you are not into extremly low light, shallow dof or absolutly need to use a 74 degree 1.4 lens, I d say FF is a waste of money.

BTw the 50mm 1.8 on FF is less sharp than a 28mm/1.8 on crop where it counts, namly wide open. True, when stopped down the 50mm becomes much sharper at the borders and has less CA than the 28mm, but who buys a 1.8 lens to use it at f/5.6 ?

For normal WA or UWA it was certainly not a worthwihle switch. The canon 10-22 or sigma 8-16 easily rival a 5d Mark II/16-35 combo IQ-wise. Only for the largest of prints the 5d MArk II will give you some MP advantage.

If you indtend to couple samyang 14mm with a 5d I would be extremly cautious. While this lens is quite sharp, it distorts horribly. Anything with a stright line in the photo will look very odd. Of coruse, you can correct the distortion in software, but you loose most of the corner /border resolution if doing so. This means you end up with an image worse than one taken with a sigma 8-16 on crop.

Hi all! I've got a crazy idea of buying a classic Canon 5D camera. Any reason I shoudn't? I'm desperate of switching to FF from 1.6 crop (canon 500D), but spending £2000 on 5D2 is not an option, I'm not that serious into photography.

2. Good high ISO performance. Now, is it anything comparable to that of 5D Mark II?

Are there any drawbacks which would have stopped you from buying this camera if you were considering it?

[/quote]

I have both a 5D and 5DII (and a 40D which I haven't used for 18 months). I bought the 5D from someone who got it as a back-up for a 1DsII but rarely used it. I use cameras very lightly - I've probably taken less than 1500 shots with it in the 18 months I've had it, so I disagree with the point made by Rainer earlier about heavy usage. Then just over a year ago, I got a 5DII to cheer myself up during the miserable and depressing greyness of Feb/ March 2010, after which I stopped using the 5D. My intention was to sell it (it's in mint condition) and to keep the 5DII. However, in the last month or so I've started to use the 5D more to compare it with the 5DII and I'm beginning to think I prefer the shots from the 'classic' to those of the 5DII. Shots from the newer camera are definitely more detailed (the files are HUGE) but there's a 'grittiness' about them, almost too much contrast and not the subtle microcontrast of the older camera.

The 5DII also has LiveView, of course, which I rarely use, as well as HD video which I used twice to try it out, but it's not really my thing. Also, very high ISO performance of the 5DII is better (I'm talking 2000+ here). I have a thing about digital noise; I would rarely use the 40D above ISO 400, whereas I find the 5D fine up to 1600 and I've taken very good low light shots at 2000-3000 with the 5DII but there's a lot of NR and signal processing going on there so you lose quite a bit of definition and get even more contrast and grittiness. But for me, FF is the way to go; my 17-40L is now the WA zoom I wanted it to be and the shallow DoF with my other lenses is a great bonus. Just can't decide which body to sell - can't justify keeping both FFs - ATM I'm leaning towards selling the 5DII.... but that may change...decisions, decisions!

Michael

[/quote]

I think this is definitely the case for switching to a D700; no video, great quality, easy to find in a store and the right price. If you come from a Canon 450D, you'll think you are in heaven.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1305531353' post='8345']

I think this is definitely the case for switching to a D700; no video, great quality, easy to find in a store and the right price. If you come from a Canon 450D, you'll think you are in heaven.

[/quote]

That makes little sense in several ways...

The guy is considering a 5D because a 5D mk II is too expensive. A Nikon D700 will not be affordable then. It doesn't make sense

No video... since when is that a plus?

The D700 does not offer anything for him over the 5D that really matters, except the newer LCD (he has not mentioned live view).

Now if live view does matter, the 5D mk II offers a much better live view implementation too, plus the resolution of a D3x.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1305531353' post='8345']

[/quote]

Hm, I don't see any price difference between d700 and 5d2, both are around £1400 used.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1305532019' post='8347']

The D700 does not offer anything for him over the 5D that really matters, except the newer LCD (he has not mentioned live view).

[/quote]

Well, four things come to my mind immediately: sensor cleaning, better AF, higher frame rate and much better LCD.

If they matter or even justify to switch brands is a different story, though. At least two of the list can be had with a 5D2, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='HarryLally' timestamp='1305462906' post='8328']

I have both a 5D and 5DII (and a 40D which I haven't used for 18 months). I bought the 5D from someone who got it as a back-up for a 1DsII but rarely used it. I use cameras very lightly - I've probably taken less than 1500 shots with it in the 18 months I've had it, so I disagree with the point made by Rainer earlier about heavy usage. Then just over a year ago, I got a 5DII to cheer myself up during the miserable and depressing greyness of Feb/ March 2010, after which I stopped using the 5D. My intention was to sell it (it's in mint condition) and to keep the 5DII. However, in the last month or so I've started to use the 5D more to compare it with the 5DII and I'm beginning to think I prefer the shots from the 'classic' to those of the 5DII. Shots from the newer camera are definitely more detailed (the files are HUGE) but there's a 'grittiness' about them, almost too much contrast and not the subtle microcontrast of the older camera.

The 5DII also has LiveView, of course, which I rarely use, as well as HD video which I used twice to try it out, but it's not really my thing. Also, very high ISO performance of the 5DII is better (I'm talking 2000+ here). I have a thing about digital noise; I would rarely use the 40D above ISO 400, whereas I find the 5D fine up to 1600 and I've taken very good low light shots at 2000-3000 with the 5DII but there's a lot of NR and signal processing going on there so you lose quite a bit of definition and get even more contrast and grittiness. But for me, FF is the way to go; my 17-40L is now the WA zoom I wanted it to be and the shallow DoF with my other lenses is a great bonus. Just can't decide which body to sell - can't justify keeping both FFs - ATM I'm leaning towards selling the 5DII.... but that may change...decisions, decisions!

Michael

[/quote]

Gunnar, I don't think you're crazy at all. I agree with the above post. I bought a 5dMII after my classic died and I still don't feel the images are any better with one exception, the ability to crop. The classic is my favorite camera of all time and I recommend them frequently. Also consider how well Canon Service does in your area, in case you have to send that 'old' camera in.
If you like the 5 classic sell the 5dmkii and wait for the markiii to hit the market I love the mark2 and love the ISO no need for a flash 80 percent of the time my 580exii just sits LOL waiting ...