Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Trap??? Which cameras can I use focus trap with?
[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1302803941' post='7643']

For a Nikon with AF lenses;

- set the AF activation to "AF-ON only",

- push the shutter release all the way down and keep it there,

- wait for the moving subject to get trapped in focus plane...

the shutter will be released and voila! you get your photo in perfect focus.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. This will work in "focus priority", but not in "shutter priority". Nikon's entry level cameras (D40, D3100, etc.) are "focus priority", while the D90, for example, is "shutter priority". You cannot configure this on these cameras. I have no experience with Nikon's professional cameras, but I guess it is customizable there.
[quote name='Alexander ' timestamp='1302765999' post='7627']

AFAIK, all Pentax cameras can do this. At least the K10D, K-x and K-5 which I've owned and own now, and they could do it. It also worked and works great.

[/quote]

Indeed -I don't know of any Pentax camera that cannot do this.

There are various uses for this. E.g. if you find it hard to manually focus through the viewfinder, turn the focus ring until your object is in focus... and there's your picture.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1302805590' post='7644']

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. This will work in "focus priority", but not in "shutter priority". Nikon's entry level cameras (D40, D3100, etc.) are "focus priority", while the D90, for example, is "shutter priority". You cannot configure this on these cameras. I have no experience with Nikon's professional cameras, but I guess it is customizable there.

[/quote]

I did try this on my D700, and it works... This is actually "focus priority"... The shutter is released when the subject is in focus. The setting for both AF-S and AF-C was "focus" not "release", when I did this. And I gues it is the same for D90...

Serkan
[quote name='Dreticus' timestamp='1302807309' post='7645']

Indeed -I don't know of any Pentax camera that cannot do this.

There are various uses for this. E.g. if you find it hard to manually focus through the viewfinder, turn the focus ring until your object is in focus... and there's your picture.

[/quote]

Yeah, it's a good feature. I've used it a bit for action shots of snowmobile cross and sled dog racing with my K 300mm 1:4.
[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1302824108' post='7653']

I did try this on my D700, and it works... This is actually "focus priority"... The shutter is released when the subject is in focus. The setting for both AF-S and AF-C was "focus" not "release", when I did this. And I gues it is the same for D90...

[/quote]

No, the D90 is "release priority" without the possibility to change it to "focus priority".
Actually, if what is meant here is a setting where the shutter can only be released if the subject is in focus, then any Canon camera can do this too.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='wim' timestamp='1302855532' post='7659']

Actually, if what is meant here is a setting where the shutter can only be released if the subject is in focus, then any Canon camera can do this too.

Kind regards, Wim

[/quote]

Yes, of course it can. But that is NOT trap focus. So, we found out that any Canon can do it (trap focus), IF and only IF you tape one lens contact. And ONLY with AF lenses with the AF/MF switch switched to AF.

So... Can a Canon do trap focus with manual lenses? No.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1302848967' post='7656']

No, the D90 is "release priority" without the possibility to change it to "focus priority".

[/quote]

What I explained works in D90 (in AF mode) also:

- Set custom setting f4 to "AF ON"

- press shutter release all the way down

- come closer to the subject until it is in focus, and you will hear the shutter release and get the image...

Again, this is only when the AF is on. It is not possible to do this by turning the focus ring in MF mode (with D90).

But with the D700, if you set the switch on the body to "AF-S" or "AF-C" and then set the AF activation in the menu (a5) to "AF-ON only", you can achieve manual focus trap (by pressing the shutter release button and turning the focus ring until the subject is in focus).

Serkan