Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent good and bad experiences with manufacturer service
Canon usa is suppose to be very good; I've exchanged email a few times about minor issues; responses are very fast and very detailed (not just your canned do this do that unrelated to issue replies). I've never sent anything into canon usa; but have read many positive stories and virtually no complaints. What strikes me as odd is how can they be so good in usa and so poor in germany.

I've heard terrible things about nikon usa (esp if you have a non-usa item) but I never used nikon so no comments. Nikon usa is a bit different than nikon japan (virtually different company so this might not be a reflection on nikon).

Olympus usa just closed their canadian and usa service center (never used them; I no longer use olympus equipment though I loved their lenses).

-

My comments are mostly hersey as canon is the only one I've contacted and on three occasions had good results even though I never actually sent equipment to them. I'm suspicious that the 70-200f4 L is i have is odd so this might change.
[quote name='Pinhole' timestamp='1301496891' post='7233']

Metz

[..]

First class service, and a German company!

[/quote]

Yep, bought my first Metz flash just recently and was very pleased by what I got. The only brand I'd accept as alternative to Nikon flashes, at least in this segment (it was a 50 AF-1, which I consider a much better deal than Nikon's SB-700). Sold it about a week later, but only because a close friend was desperately looking for the exact model I purchased. Will certainly buy one again. Only complaint: comes without any accessories (not even a pouch or stand), menu not self-explanatory. Otherwise, just great for the price.

Back to topic: still no reply from Hapa Team, sent another message today.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1302032226' post='7410']

Back to topic: still no reply from Hapa Team, sent another message today.

[/quote]

Well, at least some reaction happened: Hapa Team now offers to either return my backfocusing lens (not repaired) or to repair the tilt zoom they sent as replacement. But, if they can not adjust back focus, will they be able to fully repair such a desastrous lens?

So, in summary, two not really attractive options to choose from. Remember that the lens is still under warranty.

Exchanged several messages with Hapa Team two days ago, however since then no replies again. My last mail is unanswered.

Will keep you updated.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I've always had good experiences with the Canon repair centres in the Netherlands, except for some long waiting times around Christmas a few years ago, with a 40D/85L battery problem and trying to get my 50L calibrated first time around (40D/85L required a firmware fix, the 50L needed a second calibration and has been right since then). Since I became a CPS member after that event, I don't have the long wait problem anymore. Since there are new Canon Service Centres in th eNetherlands as well, which managed to work away the backlogs, that shouldn't really happen anymore anyway.

They have always been very helpful, as were any of the retailers I dealt with.

Last problem I had fixed was about half a year ago, when I finally had it fixed anyway, the friction ring on my (second) 100-400L, which didn't hold the lens in a fixed position anymore after I lent it to a colleague, who didn't realize he had to loosen the ring first before using the lens....

Anyway, it was fixed within a few days, and with constant email communication, with an option to borrow another lens for free, because they didn't have the parts in stock. They called me a few dyas after I got the lens back to inquire if everything was as expected, and emailed another week later to make doubly sure. All of this at no charge.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I have always heard good things about Canon in the Netherlands. And it has always been in strong contrast to my own experiences with Willich in Germany ...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1302334986' post='7505']

I have always heard good things about Canon in the Netherlands. And it has always been in strong contrast to my own experiences with Willich in Germany ...

-- Markus

[/quote]

Makes you wonder whether it's worth to send your lenses to NL. Is that possible ?
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1302338327' post='7506']

Makes you wonder whether it's worth to send your lenses to NL. Is that possible ?

[/quote]

I would have tried after my last terrible experience with Willich, but never had the chance to (thanks to the D300, which was announced at roughly the same time).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1302338327' post='7506']

[/quote]

You could give it a try - the centre in Weert (which fixed my 100-400L) actually is iaised with a centre in Germany, although I forget which one. However, that one is quite small compared to the main centre in the NL, and may not be able to do all repairs. Techrepair, main centre, can do everything however.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Two updates today:

1) actually more of a non-update: still no reply from Hapa to my latest message.

2) the Sigma 70-200 OS again: hood is perfectly aligned now, unfortunately the lens itself is not. Still decentered, so I'm afraid I'll have to send it in again.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1302636724' post='7563']

1) actually more of a non-update: still no reply from Hapa to my latest message.

[/quote]

Finally!

They have agreed to repair the tilt-zoom and give me some time to carefully test it afterwards. In case I don't like it, I will have the option to switch back to my initially sent in lens (the backfocusing one).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com