Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Nikon Active D-Lighting
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1300632885' post='6968']

So, probably the most important question is: can ADL really boost the dynamic range of the camera?

Frank

[/quote]

If you lower the contrast, you are basically boosting dynamic range of the photo. So... ADL can boost the dynamic range of the resulting photo, not of the camera.

The dynamic range of the RAW data does not increase.
I was under the impression that ADL is somewhat similar to the Fill Light function in Camera RAW or Lightroom, giving the photo somewhat a toned-down psuedo-HDR look. Am I wrong?
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1300637320' post='6970']

Probbaly I should clarify my question: can ADL really boost the *effective* dynamic range of the camera? I.e., can ADL allow the camera to capture a dynamic range larger than it would without ADL (in raw shooting)?

Frank

[/quote]

The simple answer is, no...
[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1300643245' post='6975']

The simple answer is, no...

[/quote]

Then it seems that ADL is not very useful if you shoot in raw since you can always get the same ADL effect afterwards with PS or NX2, e.g., by adusting the tone curve...

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1300679857' post='6988']

Then it seems that ADL is not very useful if you shoot in raw since you can always get the same ADL effect afterwards with PS or NX2, e.g., by adusting the tone curve...

[/quote]

Assuming you do underexpose the shot slightly in the first place.
[quote name='BG_Home' timestamp='1300691741' post='6989']

Assuming you do underexpose the shot slightly in the first place.

[/quote]

Sure. In fact I often do it to prevent or reduce overexpose.

Frank
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1300679857' post='6988']

Frank

[/quote]

That's what I was trying to say... If you shoot NEF, better not activate ADL because you have better options in PP. OTOH, I could use ADL for specific cases if I shoot JPEG.