Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang 14mm for Nikon infinity probs?
I note that on your review of the Samyang 14mm (and others) that the infinity measurement is sometimes off. As the lens has to come from Poland on ebay, and then be sent back if it's a poor copy, do we think that this lens is of sufficient quality on a D700 to warrant the above gamble? I got rid of the 16-35mm VR because of its drawbacks and I'm just looking for a cheap but sharp UWA (aren't we all?).
I meant to say that other reviews of the Samyang 14mm back up your problems with focusing at infinity.
Well, there is an easy step-by-step instruction on the i-net how to readjust the scale to the actual infinity position. I did it myself, no problem, 15min time at max including the calibration itself.

Despite this misalignment, for critical landscape shots, I use liveview anyway. + you probably seldom focus on infinity but on a distance before to maximise depth of field. The Samyang is an awesome lens if you can live with software corrected distortion.

Chris
[quote name='TheChris' timestamp='1300278783' post='6866']

Well, there is an easy step-by-step instruction on the i-net how to readjust the scale to the actual infinity position. I did it myself, no problem, 15min time at max including the calibration itself.

Despite this misalignment, for critical landscape shots, I use liveview anyway. + you probably seldom focus on infinity but on a distance before to maximise depth of field. The Samyang is an awesome lens if you can live with software corrected distortion.

Chris

[/quote]
Thanks.

If you used the new version with the chip, which allows the user to 'focus' using the blobs in the viewfinder (in the D700, anyway), would the final result be in focus? (what you see is what you get?)
[quote name='Lord Beau' timestamp='1300279088' post='6868']

If you used the new version with the chip, which allows the user to 'focus' using the blobs in the viewfinder (in the D700, anyway), would the final result be in focus? (what you see is what you get?)

[/quote]

You don't need the chipped version for the viewfinder AF signal to work. However, the precision of this green dot is not the best with wide angle lenses. If you need maximum sharpness, use live view instead.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1300280775' post='6869']

You don't need the chipped version for the viewfinder AF signal to work. However, the precision of this green dot is not the best with wide angle lenses. If you need maximum sharpness, use live view instead.

-- Markus

[/quote]
Markus is right, despite using the unchipped version, the focus confirmation dot works. However, as also mentioned by Markus, reliability is very low. Therefore, focusing is tricky through the viewfinder.

Chris