Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony 85mm f/2.8 SAM
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1300255744' post='6851']

CAs are low, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

-- Markus

[/quote]

I think he might mean loCA. It should be easier to correct a 85mm f2.8 prime for that than for instance a 85mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.4.

Indeed, when we look at the LoCA from the much older Canon 85mm f1.8 USM design and that of the Sony 85mm f2.8 SAM:

Canon

[Image: loca_f28.jpg]

Sony

[Image: loca_f28.jpg]

the Sony does not seem to be better corrected.

Also, when we compare the results of that 85mm f1.8 lens with the new Sony 85mm f2.8 SAM, Klaus' measurements suggest that the old Canon design is sharper a bit, and that the LaCA also is a lot lower for the older Canon design.

Photozone's measurements also suggest that the Nikon AF 85mm f1.8 D design, also an older design, has lower LaCA.

So... a nice, lightweight 85mm, but not outstanding?
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1300288510' post='6874']

[/quote]

It's a plastic -- 5 elements in 4 groups without special elements -- lens...

The goal was probably to be cheap & good, not outstanding.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1300288510' post='6874']

[/quote]

I think this lens would be nice E-Mount lens. If you look at the front glass it is already very deep inside. So a NEX version could be small, something around 6 cm. For a small camera like the NEX small lenses are very important. Most people I know settled for 16 mm because it is smaller and are glad about it. It is very interesting but there a not so much trouble with fixed focal length for P&S upgraders. The also like the possibility to shoot without flash in rooms.

One of them told me that zooming cost to much time that he had used his P&S mostly on the widest focal length. So the 16 mm was maybe smarter move from Sony than many thought.

So maybe zooms are a feature for advanced users?
Will there be a full-frame test of this lens?