Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
handholding the camera and razor sharp lenses
Hi toni-a,

It really depends on what you;d consider enough in resolution.

In order to really maximize the resolution, you'd need total shock, movement and shake free operation, which effectively is only possible in a lab environment.

To get as close as is possible shooting handheld, you'd need a much higher shutter speed than the 1/FL rule anyway, as that originally was the advice for LF photography, not really for FF photography, although this was partially inspired by people etc. moving as well during exposure.

In addition, it depends a lot on the operator too. Some peoplr are more shake or tremble free than others, so they can get away with longer shutter speeds.

Having said all this, I reckon that if you'd go beyond, say 1/(4*FL), you will not see a lot of improvement anymore, regardless of whether you are in a lab environment or not - providing you are standing still that is Smile. This based on personal experiments.

However, the gain over 1/(2*FL) is really very little, to me anyway, so I use whatever I think is appropriate. In the end a photograph is better than none.

Oh, all of this of course without taking IS into account. With IS you can get a lot lower, but that still does not help with movement of subjects. I find that with people you need at least 1/100 s, with children often faster shutter speeds, as is the case with (smaller) pets.

Do note that (very) high MP counts also add to the equation. A 5Ds or 5DsR requires a much faster shutter speed for optimum sharpness than a camera with half the MP does.

In general I think you can say that for MP increase you need an MP factor in shutter speed increase, and the same is probably true for higher resolution lenses. Translated, this means that for a doubling of MPs you'd need a 2x faster shuitter speed, and for a lens that has, say, 1.2x the resolution of a lens youd normally use, you need a 'quadratic increase or 1.4x factor faster shutter speed in addition. Just recommendations, mind you, not a hard and fast rule.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
handholding the camera and razor sharp lenses - by wim - 04-22-2017, 09:33 AM