Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina 11-16 color shift
This weekend I had the chance to look at the Tokina 11-16mm (Canon-mount) on a 7D primarily for video purposes, but we observed in live-view, much to our surprise, that there is a noticeable and significant color shift during manual focus from end to end. This lens was a rental and the only copy I've seen so I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same thing, perhaps even with other lenses by Tokina or otherwise. I'll be testing the 12-24mm this Tuesday.

Also wanted to note that the color-balance was set to "K" so there was no auto white balance going on. Perhaps a color-shift may not be the appropriate term as the images appear to go from warm to neutral, meaning it actually seems to be a change in saturation/contrast.

Anyone seen similar behavior on this or other lenses? Honestly I rarely use manual focus but now I'm going to check every lens in my arsenal for this and report back.

-J
Color shift could occur in ultrawide lenses. I frequently use a Tokina 12-24/4 on snow, and at the shortest focal lenght the corners could turn to light cyan in cloudy and diffused light. Tokina aren't the only to be affected by that, anyway.
[quote name='Light Is Beauty' timestamp='1300114347' post='6758']

This weekend I had the chance to look at the Tokina 11-16mm (Canon-mount) on a 7D primarily for video purposes, but we observed in live-view, much to our surprise, that there is a noticeable and significant color shift during manual focus from end to end.

[/quote]

This is to be expected, as such lenses aren't meant for video or reproduction work. Even with some of Canon's L prime lenses, I've seen colour shifts when stopping down... but I've only noticed this when shooting in infrared.

GTW
[quote name='genotypewriter' timestamp='1300252132' post='6850']

This is to be expected, as such lenses aren't meant for video or reproduction work. Even with some of Canon's L prime lenses, I've seen colour shifts when stopping down... but I've only noticed this when shooting in infrared.

GTW

[/quote]

Good to note. But want to be clear that this was observed strictly during focusing, with no other physical adjustments or changes to aperture or focal length. Kind of a nightmare for video.
[quote name='Light Is Beauty' timestamp='1300114347' post='6758']

Perhaps a color-shift may not be the appropriate term as the images appear to go from warm to neutral, meaning it actually seems to be a change in saturation/contrast.

[/quote]

Now I'm confused... color shift or change of saturation or change of contrast?