Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightroom and NEF files
New to Digital SLR Photography - recently bought a Nikon D7000. I took advantage of access to student licences to buy Lightroom and Photoshop CS5

I've been using the two card slots in the D7000 to take RAW (NEF) in Slot 1 (14-bit, highest quality) and JPEG in Slot 2 (again, highest quality). I've found in Lightroom that the NEF files look better than the JPEGs processed in-camera (is that usual?).

This raises a few questions for me:

Does Lightroom apply any default sharpening, contrast, etc to the photos when I look at them in the Library?

I'm importing and rendering 1:1 previews, then mostly reviewing the images as big as I can get them to fill the screen with toolbars etc hidden

I'm not sure I can see much difference when I adjust shapening etc. in Develop. Is that because default sharpening settings are applied, or do I have to 'do' something to apply the adjustments?

Are there "standard" settings for sharpening - amount, radius, detail, and masking - which could be applied to most RAW files, so that I could stop saving JPEGs in-camera and batch process the NEF files to convert them to JPEGs?

Is Lightroom ok for doing this, or should I use PS (Bridge)?

I really don't want to get into spending a long time in front of the computer adjusting most of my pics, though I might spend a bit more time on a few

Ian
Got an answer to this over at DpReview, in case useful for others

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readfl...d=37794664