Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy lens on tripod
Dear PZers,

I have some problems with attaching my Camera Lens on tripod.

The setup is Canon 50d + Tamron 70-300VC. + tripod Giottos MTL9351 Giottos Balhead MH7001-652

The lens is not so heavy/700..800g/ but long enough at 300mm. For now I weighted the tripod when I shoot at 300mm bracketed landscapes but it is difficult to do that all the time.

As far as I know there is no optional tripod mount available for tamron 70-300vc.

External battery grip for 50d is not an option.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Miro

PS The lens itself is sharp and flare resistant. Colour randantion is similar to my Tamron 17-50. AF is spot on even without MA.
I don't get what the problem is, assuming the head isn't slipping under the weight, and the tripod stays upright...

The only trick I can add for stability is to have one of the legs of the tripod under the lens for the most support in that direction. If the lens overhangs between two of the legs then you have a closer pivot point increasing risk of tipping over.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Thanks for the reply Popo.

Due to the fact that central weight is not at the camera tripod mount, a several problems occur.

1. Focus frame is moving down in case that tripod is placed in slightly soft surface. In case of asphalt, concrete and rocks it works fine. When I compose image I off-load the tripod from front weighted camera-lens. When I tighten the ballhead and release the camera the frame is moving down.

2. Some motion blur appear at pixel level. Again due to the off-centered weight the tripod is not as stable as equally loaded tripod at all 3 legs.

3. I cannot perform Exposure bracketing and mirror lookup at my Canon 50d and 400d.

4. The off centered camera lens requires to tighten the ballhead firmly.

Greetings,

Miro
Have you considered a Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support? http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/293/_...ns_Support
[quote name='miro' timestamp='1295859100' post='5721']

Due to the fact that central weight is not at the camera tripod mount, a several problems occur.

1. Focus frame is moving down in case that tripod is placed in slightly soft surface. In case of asphalt, concrete and rocks it works fine. When I compose image I off-load the tripod from front weighted camera-lens. When I tighten the ballhead and release the camera the frame is moving down.

2. Some motion blur appear at pixel level. Again due to the off-centered weight the tripod is not as stable as equally loaded tripod at all 3 legs.

3. I cannot perform Exposure bracketing and mirror lookup at my Canon 50d and 400d.

Greetings,

Miro

[/quote]

1. Press the tripod down well before you shoot.

2. Use cable shutter release, it stops the camera from moving.

3. Yes, of course you can. I can do it on my former 350D, my sister's 400D and my 450D. No idea why you would think you can't... they do not cancel each other out. Do use a cable shutter release, else mirror lock up will not make sense much. Of course, mirror lock up requires 2 shutter release button presses per bracketed photo, so 6 in total. Or, alternatively, set the timer to 2 seconds, then the shutter will fire 2 seconds after the mirror went up. If that is enough for your tripod/lens combination I donot know (the 2 seconds), but you can of course try that.

4. yes, it does.
[quote name='miro' timestamp='1295859100' post='5721']

Greetings,

Miro

[/quote]

Hi Miro,

If I understand correctly, if you place the tripod on soft ground there is a problem, if you place it on solid ground there isn't. If that is the case, then the problem is not your tripod. It is just soft ground.

I looked up the head. Seems to be in the $€£ 40 league. Is it all metal? Anyway, that is not the kind of kit which will hold a 400mm equivalent lens without mirror look up. For that kind of application, in particular landscape work you should be looking into a heavy 3-way head to hold a 400mm equiv.

I would not expect buying a mounting bracket will solve anything on a weak head. It will move the slapping mirror further away from the support that it has more leverage to cause movement.

I also have my doubts on the tripod. Seems to be going for $€£ 80. No spikes under the feet. In summary you are asking to much I think.

Having written this, if you get decent shoots with that and with mirror lock-up, that is the way forward. For get auto-bracketing and shoot them one-by-one and let the tripod calm down between shoots.

My take. Joachim
enjoy
Thanks for valuable input.

It took me some time to process the input since I don’t have any experience in tele lens.

----------------------------------------

Bryan : I didn’t know that Manfrotto has such solution. I’ll try it at my favorite photo shop. I think that it should be just fine for me. My tripod and head are stable enough. Only the quick camera release is questionable.

----------------------------------------

Brightcolours: Thanks for suggestion. I’ll use them next time and see which will work with me. I have one question to you about my point #3 I cannot perform Exposure bracketing and mirror lookup at my Canon 50d and 400d.

First situation – Camera is set to Single exposure, Mirror lockup, Self timer 2 sec. No sitter release.

- Results are OK – when you press the shutter release the mirror falls down and after 2 sec the curtain takes the exposure.

Second situation - Camera is in auto bracketing mode /3 pictures/, Mirror lockup is OFF, Self Timer 2sec. No remote shutter release is used.

- Results – positive side

o 3 pictures are take as fast as camera can. I can later merge this 3 picture in Photoshop if the situation requires that.

- Negative side effects due to the mirror move.

o Motion blur

o The 3 picture are not taken as fast as it can. The mirror up and down time takes in most cases more time that exposule time.

If I enable auto bracketing and mirror lockup it requires. 3 respectively 6 presses of shitter release. I encountered several issues in this setup.

- 3 pictures are not taken as fast as it can. E.g low frequent event can occurs e.g. flying bird can come in frame by some exposures.

- All 3 exposures are controlled by photographer instead automated by camera.

- In case of 6 shutter press the photographer must take into account when you press the shutter release for mirror lock and when for exposure.

My question is Can I with SINGLE PRESS of shutter release to fire 3 images while the mirror is locked up?

-------------

Joachim.

It seems that with my last buys I have mixed filling. They ware cheap and look very good at first time. But when you use longer you discover some drawbacks.

1. Lens Tamron 70-300 VC

a. Seems to be very good optically. I was surprised by optical performance at 300mm.

b. It’s lightweight – ideal for my mountain treks.

c. USD focuses spot on my Canon 400D and 50d.

d. Cheap – 400Euro

However lens exhibit some drawbacks.

a. No focus limiter

b. VC has single mode.

c. Lens doesn’t offer tripod mount.

2. Tripod and head Giottos.

a. It is versatile – the camera can be placed almost to the ground. Manfroto has similar system. It calls Q bla bla bla.

b. It is surprisingly stable tripod for this price.

c. Head is from aluminum. The company is based in China and they have own aluminum high pressure casting facilities.

d. It is dirty cheap for such quality product. However last 2 years they increased the price several times.

However some drawback appears latter.

a. As already mentioned by you the tripod doesn’t have spikes.

b. Quick release was good for 100mm lens but not good for 300mm lens.

c. Last but not at least Giottos distributor in Netherlands is terrible. I needed spare parts and finally I ordered via Giottos Germany. Actually If I have to buy new tripod I will not go for Giottos due to the weak distributor/ service of Giottos Netherlands. Remember professional tripod without spare parts is not professional. The plastic bushes and lever are worn after 2 years as outdoor amateur photographer.

Many thanks,

Miro
No, you can't do 3 bracketed shots with one shutter release, with or without mirror lock up. Of course, mirror lock up requires time, else using mirror lock up would not make sense. Of course, it is possible that the scene changes a bit when shooting 3 images (your bird as example), but that should never be a problem, as you can edit that bird out before you merge the different exposures.

However, I sense there is a trick that might make life easier (faster) on you. The 400D has only one motor for driving both the shutter mechanism and the mirror movement. Moving the mirror is linked to the shutter. However, the 50D is different. It has two separate motor systems. In live view, the mirror goes up. While with the 400D the mirror needs to move up and down between shots, it does not have to with the 50D in live view. So, try setting up the 50D in live view with NO mirror lock up and WITH bracketed exposure. It should now be possible to make 3 consecutive shots in fast succession, each with a different exposure, and with no mirror induced vibration.

I can not test it, because I have no 40/50/60/7D at hand, but I have a hunch this might work for you. Still 3 shutter presses, but as fast as you can. And then just invest in a remote cable shutter release, so you will not induce vibrations via shutter button pressing. Success!
Does the lens itself have a tripod mount? When you are shooting long it is best to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of gravity for least vibration. Also for long telephoto work I highly recommend a Gimbal head, e.g.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220729597239"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220729597239[/url]

Allan
[quote name='allanmb' timestamp='1295956706' post='5752']

Does the lens itself have a tripod mount? When you are shooting long it is best to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of gravity for least vibration. Also for long telephoto work I highly recommend a Gimbal head, e.g.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220729597239"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=220729597239[/url]

Allan

[/quote]

Miro stated in his original post that there is not an optional tripod mount available for his lens. I take this to mean that it does not have a tripod collar.