Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy lens on tripod
Thanks for valuable input.

It took me some time to process the input since I don’t have any experience in tele lens.

----------------------------------------

Bryan : I didn’t know that Manfrotto has such solution. I’ll try it at my favorite photo shop. I think that it should be just fine for me. My tripod and head are stable enough. Only the quick camera release is questionable.

----------------------------------------

Brightcolours: Thanks for suggestion. I’ll use them next time and see which will work with me. I have one question to you about my point #3 I cannot perform Exposure bracketing and mirror lookup at my Canon 50d and 400d.

First situation – Camera is set to Single exposure, Mirror lockup, Self timer 2 sec. No sitter release.

- Results are OK – when you press the shutter release the mirror falls down and after 2 sec the curtain takes the exposure.

Second situation - Camera is in auto bracketing mode /3 pictures/, Mirror lockup is OFF, Self Timer 2sec. No remote shutter release is used.

- Results – positive side

o 3 pictures are take as fast as camera can. I can later merge this 3 picture in Photoshop if the situation requires that.

- Negative side effects due to the mirror move.

o Motion blur

o The 3 picture are not taken as fast as it can. The mirror up and down time takes in most cases more time that exposule time.

If I enable auto bracketing and mirror lockup it requires. 3 respectively 6 presses of shitter release. I encountered several issues in this setup.

- 3 pictures are not taken as fast as it can. E.g low frequent event can occurs e.g. flying bird can come in frame by some exposures.

- All 3 exposures are controlled by photographer instead automated by camera.

- In case of 6 shutter press the photographer must take into account when you press the shutter release for mirror lock and when for exposure.

My question is Can I with SINGLE PRESS of shutter release to fire 3 images while the mirror is locked up?

-------------

Joachim.

It seems that with my last buys I have mixed filling. They ware cheap and look very good at first time. But when you use longer you discover some drawbacks.

1. Lens Tamron 70-300 VC

a. Seems to be very good optically. I was surprised by optical performance at 300mm.

b. It’s lightweight – ideal for my mountain treks.

c. USD focuses spot on my Canon 400D and 50d.

d. Cheap – 400Euro

However lens exhibit some drawbacks.

a. No focus limiter

b. VC has single mode.

c. Lens doesn’t offer tripod mount.

2. Tripod and head Giottos.

a. It is versatile – the camera can be placed almost to the ground. Manfroto has similar system. It calls Q bla bla bla.

b. It is surprisingly stable tripod for this price.

c. Head is from aluminum. The company is based in China and they have own aluminum high pressure casting facilities.

d. It is dirty cheap for such quality product. However last 2 years they increased the price several times.

However some drawback appears latter.

a. As already mentioned by you the tripod doesn’t have spikes.

b. Quick release was good for 100mm lens but not good for 300mm lens.

c. Last but not at least Giottos distributor in Netherlands is terrible. I needed spare parts and finally I ordered via Giottos Germany. Actually If I have to buy new tripod I will not go for Giottos due to the weak distributor/ service of Giottos Netherlands. Remember professional tripod without spare parts is not professional. The plastic bushes and lever are worn after 2 years as outdoor amateur photographer.

Many thanks,

Miro

Messages In This Thread
Heavy lens on tripod - by miro - 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Heavy lens on tripod - by popo - 01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Heavy lens on tripod - by miro - 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Heavy lens on tripod - by bryan conner - 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Heavy lens on tripod - by Brightcolours - 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Heavy lens on tripod - by joachim - 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Heavy lens on tripod - by miro - 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Heavy lens on tripod - by Brightcolours - 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Heavy lens on tripod - by allanmb - 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM