Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pro' and com's of big marco lens etc " tamron 180 vs simga 150
Hi warwick:

I considered the same choice a few years ago. I really liked the Sigma 150 for its slightly larger aperture and slightly shorter focal length. However, my past experience with Sigma's reliability led me to choose the Tamron, which I've been very happy with (the Canon 180 was just too many $$$$).

My first experience with Sigma was a 400mm f/5.6 Apo in EOS mount; it arrived with a very loose tripod mount and never held up very well - I soon traded it.

My second experience was a Sigma 28-70 lens (a gift), also in EOS mount, worked fine on my Canon Elan, but gave an error code on my EOS 350D. It was late in the lens' life cycle and Sigma wouldn't/couldn't re-chip it. At any rate, the front element fell off in my hands at the dinner table one evening!

I would not consider any Sigma lens in Canon mount as they have a long history of compatibility issues with newer Canon models. I've never heard of any similar complaints on Nikon, Minolta (Sony) or any other mounts.

John

Messages In This Thread
pro' and com's of big marco lens etc " tamron 180 vs simga 150 - by huffy49 - 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM