The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Focus Assist
I recently got 2 of samyang manual lens (14mm and 85mm) for my 5D since they performs pretty good per pz reviews. Probably it's my lack of experience in manual focusing, i found it pretty hard to manual focus them. For the 14mm, it's impossible to tell through view finder where the focal point is. I could only guess the distance and use the scale on the lens, or just reduce aperture for more tolerance on error. For the 85mm 1.4, it's also hard to precisely focus on the eye when doing portrait shoots without the use of live view (which the 5D mkI doesn't have).

I had tried to change the focus screen to a split screen; however, it shades the off-center areas and makes the metering/E-ttl flash think it's under exposed, and the accuracy is not that good for subjects without straight vertical line(s). So I change it back to the original screen.

Someone suggests me to chip the lens or get a magnified eyepiece to assist the manual focus, but i'm not sure if that will work or not.

Any advises from manual lens users will be greatly appreciated.

And excuse my English grammar.

james

Messages In This Thread
Manual Focus Assist - by Guest - 01-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Manual Focus Assist - by Guest - 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Manual Focus Assist - by genotypewriter - 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Manual Focus Assist - by backcountryskier - 01-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Manual Focus Assist - by Rainer - 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM