Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera memory card connector dead, can I switch to SD??
Hi all,

after the mirror box on my 30D, the backup camera 300D also failed, it can't read from memory cards anymore, Since I will be replacing the card reading unit, wouldn't it be a good idea if I install an SD card reading unit instead ??

Of course it will require some custom modifications, but I woud better prefer SD cqrds
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1293258621' post='5174']

Hi all,

after the mirror box on my 30D, the backup camera 300D also failed, it can't read from memory cards anymore, Since I will be replacing the card reading unit, wouldn't it be a good idea if I install an SD card reading unit instead ??

Of course it will require some custom modifications, but I woud better prefer SD cqrds

[/quote]

No you can't. Since it would need custom electronics, the fact that you ask this means you do not have the skills for such a complex undertaking. It would be a very specialized camera conversion.

Probably one of the pins has been bent or even broken, easiest would be to replace the broken pin (and even that is very difficult).
The 300D is a pretty old camera anyway, so at least locally to me it is probably not economic to repair unless it is very simple. However converting it to SD might not be so difficult. Assuming it is nothing more serious than a broken connection in the CF slot, then it could be possible to fit one of the cheap SD-CF adapters you can find on ebay or similar.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Asked Canon local repairs shop in Beyrouth, they are very friendly.

Replacing the CF connectors is an easy and cheap job, and yes converting to SD as popo said is easy via adapter.

With 30 EUR my 300D rocks again