Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mounting a DSLR on a microscope;
Hi folks

I will be doing a medical exam called capillaroscopy.

http://www.sclerodermie.org/pages/patien...scopie.asp

(sorry link in french)

It consists of examining the nailfold capillaries.

The machine for doing the exam that has an integrated camera is insanely priced and has only a rudimentary 1024X768 pixel webcam to take picture.

So I prefer to make my own equipment.

Use a standard microscope and mount a DSLR there on the microscope

Using my 3oD with its broken mirror chamber seems the ideal solutiion, since I don't need the mirror not the viewfinder, but how to make the camera work with no mirror ? and how to mount it ??
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1292445751' post='5020']

Use a standard microscope and mount a DSLR there on the microscope

Using my 3oD with its broken mirror chamber seems the ideal solutiion, since I don't need the mirror not the viewfinder, but how to make the camera work with no mirror ? and how to mount it ??

[/quote]

The camera needs the mirror for:

1. showing the image on the OVF (for framing and manual focusing)

2. Metering

3. AF

If you can do without the 1st one, then the other two don't seem to be very important for your application because the light will be constant and the focus will be fixed.

Just google for "EOS microscope adapter" or something and I'm sure you'll find plenty of things.

Hope this answered your question?

GTW
well an adapter isn't a problem either, but without the signal from mirrot box the camera refuses to start, besides shutter is intimtely linked to mirror box using same motor.

old adapters used to also have integrated shuter function.

with film that was easy, how to make my 30D work with an off camera shutter ?
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1292483963' post='5040']

well an adapter isn't a problem either, but without the signal from mirrot box the camera refuses to start, besides shutter is intimtely linked to mirror box using same motor.

old adapters used to also have integrated shuter function.

with film that was easy, how to make my 30D work with an off camera shutter ?

[/quote]

If you can't get the 30D to release its shutter then I'm afraid you're out of luck because you can't activate the sensor to capture the image. This is not the case with all cameras. For example, it's very well known that the 5D series works without the mirror box.

GTW
The 20/30/40D have a separate motor for mirror and shutter, by the way. Not that that is of much help when you still can't get the camera to get over the fact that the mirror does not behave well.