Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
38 hours batch !!!!! can I reduce the time ?
38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws, of course you understand this is a huge amount of time...

I was converting them with DPP, applying distortions, vignetting and CA removal also.

I have a standard 3GHZ 1GB ram PC, I know that's not enough but the time spent seems outrageously excessive

Is it DPP ??? CS5 needed much less time (4 or 5 hours) to resize and sharpen all those pics
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1291068573' post='4582']

38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws, of course you understand this is a huge amount of time...

I was converting them with DPP, applying distortions, vignetting and CA removal also.

I have a standard 3GHZ 1GB ram PC, I know that's not enough but the time spent seems outrageously excessive

Is it DPP ??? CS5 needed much less time (4 or 5 hours) to resize and sharpen all those pics

[/quote]

CPU power must not be underestimated. I wrote my experiences in another forum at beginning of this year. I made the switch from this system,

Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz FSB133 HT

1.75 GB DDR2 RAM

Geforce4 4200 graphics-card

Windows XP 32-bit

which took Lightroom 2.5 all-in-all 175s to process 9 RAF Fuji S5 raw files without modification.

Using my new system,

Intel i5-750, a native quad-core processor from the new Intel I-Core series + motherboard with Intel I55 chipset

4GB of DDR3-1333 OCZ Platinum Ram

ATI Radeon 4650HD graphic-card with 512MB 128-bit Ram

Quiet coolers for the CPU and graphic-card

Windows 7 64-bit

the time for processing the same files with the same settings under LR 2.5 took 18s, an increase in speed of about 10x. I later added another 4GB of RAM, but haven't seen much use of it so far as I seldom open multiple files in an editor at the same time.

Christian
Hi Toni

Similar results I have measured with ACR /factor x10/ when I switched from

1. AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1,5GB DDR 266. Pata HDD 120GB . WIN XP 32bit

to

2. AMD Phenom II 955 + 8GB DDR 3, 2 HDD Samsung F3 1GB.

For my private work I’ve never use batch processing.

However such huge amount of pictures I have only during the weddings shoots. I shoot always JPG + RAW.

1. My first step in workflow is to reduce number of pictures. /factor x3/. E.g from 600 pictures ->200.

2. Later on I look how I can make album with these 200 pictures. The result is less than 100 pictures.

3. Further I chooses max 5 images that I really good and post process them manually

I need such powerful PC only for my landscape/macro images where I use advanced Photoshop techniques.

Greetings,

Miro
http://www.apple.com/macpro/
Toni-a,

38 hours for 1035 files is 2.2 minutes per file. DPP isn't the fastest, but that really seems slower than it should be. My 2.2 GHz core2-duo (mobile T7500) needs about 15 seconds for one 5D file, when running on battery (it is faster when plugged-in). That is for a simple conversion. I'm not sure how much the extra processing you did will add.

Thomas

38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws,

/snip/

Is it DPP ???

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds extremely slow to me. I can convert hundreds of images within minutes here.

Possibly you're using some very slow aspect of the application.