Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Authorized approved dealer markets vs grey markets or is there a better?market?
Quote:    Kitchen??

Table??........ Wink
Bilge!

Toolbox!

Or your chaiselongue   ^_^

toni-a, you should try once a bike in a rush-hour. And I can tell you, at the evening when road into my city is blocked by cars, i overtake a couple of Jaguars, Porsches and BMWs without a drop of sweat. Never underestimate bikes.

Since the quality of color negative film never can beat a standard DSLR, in simply no aspect, the question remains why waste time, material, water and chemicals for a worse result? You can filter afterwards each type of film - there are profiles around for each type of film simulation. And what do you with the rest of the process? Scanning and printing it on a CMYK printer, which means analogue film transforms into digital information twice. I could understand if you enjoy the steam in a dark room, but as the rest of your workflow is digital, that doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't have to, that's the good point  Smile
Well, I guess it's hard to resist some nostalgia, isn't it? Smile I do enjoy shooting film once in a while, but to be honest, it rarely happens. But when it does, it's always a nice lesson of learning to focus on really getting the shot, since there is a very limited number of frames available (I limit myself to one film usually), which means one shouldn't waste any of them on several attempts of the same subject.

Digital has sort of spoiled us, hasn't it? Point the camera at a subject, shoot a burst, pick the least bad one at home and fix all of its flaws in post... I still find myself staring at the back cover of the film camera after taking a shot, that's how spoiled I am Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:You don't need a darkroom to develop B/W film. I worked two decades exclusively with a changing bag to put the film on the spirals of the developing tank. Close the lid and it's light-tight, you just need to fill in the chemicals. You need to dry max 1.6 m of wet film in a dustfree space. Then you can scan the negatives.

I just wonder what you guys think to get out of this? The only reason to go film, no, three reasons for me: better and instant archival qualities, artistic reasons to reduce some possibilities or doing a production without any battery. I still could do that, the Yashica FX3 only needs a battery for it's exposure-meter, the rest is mechnaical - and who needs to mether the exposure? Onyl whimps. Real male photogs can sense the light with their urine.

Spot on about the changing bag, you don't need a darkroom to develop B/W at all.

What am I getting out of shooting film? I get to use a Hasselblad 500C/M the way it's intended to be used. In its full 6x6 glory with no digital back! It's a lovely photographic tool that is much more enjoyable than any digital camera I've ever used. Also, I have a darkroom and an enlarger that I can use at home so I can make beautiful prints without spending tons of money on a decent sized printer like an Epson 3880. Even some of the 35mm cameras that I've been using give me a lot of those benefits but I've hardly shot any 35mm in the past year.

Also, if you know your EV values, you don't even need the urine Wink 
Yes, a 6×6 or larger is a different story for black and white and slides. If the scanner brings at least 2000 dpi, I'd get 20 MP and all the preparations with a spotmeter and checking the zones, but without the complexity of dodge and burn afterwards - I think the pictures will be great and genuine. Prints even more so. I still like my baryte (?) prints from last millennium - the ones worth to be printed.

That bit I get immediately. When checking my usual website for second hand gear, I always slow down with scrolling when a Hasselblad or a Sinar pops up. I also could understand when we experience a renaissance of black and white MF. Last weekend I saw a guy pointing a 6×9 bessamatic travel camera at a friend and me while we were chatting with a decent amount of ignorance and disrespect, so I just left the frame before he pushed a button. I'm pretty sure the first owner of this camera 60 years ago or more had better manners.  Rolleyes

But going 135 and shoot a roll of outdated color negative? 

Quote:Spot on about the changing bag, you don't need a darkroom to develop B/W at all.

What am I getting out of shooting film? I get to use a Hasselblad 500C/M the way it's intended to be used. In its full 6x6 glory with no digital back! It's a lovely photographic tool that is much more enjoyable than any digital camera I've ever used. Also, I have a darkroom and an enlarger that I can use at home so I can make beautiful prints without spending tons of money on a decent sized printer like an Epson 3880. Even some of the 35mm cameras that I've been using give me a lot of those benefits but I've hardly shot any 35mm in the past year.

Also, if you know your EV values, you don't even need the urine Wink

Are you using a prism finder with the Hassy?  That was one of the  reasons I didn't get on with my Rollieflex, looking down into a viewer, with the left right inversion, it just felt unnatural to me, that and the square format and it's box style construction, I found it a clumsy to hold, it was for that I prefered the 6X7 Pentax and it's huge look. The Hassies certainly fall into the Swiss watch build quality catagory, with their superb lenses!

Am I missing something....what's with the urine?

JoJu wrote.."But going 135 and shoot a roll of outdated color negative?" 

Well I rummaged in my out of date draw.... all I could find was a roll of Agfapan 25 B+W dated 01/2004..120, actually very nice fine grain film, pity it wasn't 35mm....Oh that and a packet of old condoms....but that's another story.....I digress! :wub: 

Quote:   Are you using a prism finder with the Hassy?  That was one of the  reasons I didn't get on with my Rollieflex, looking down into a viewer, with the left right inversion, it just felt unnatural to me, that and the square format and it's box style construction, I found it a clumsy to hold, it was for that I prefered the 6X7 Pentax and it's huge look. The Hassies certainly fall into the Swiss watch build quality catagory, with their superb lenses!

Am I missing something....what's with the urine?

JoJu wrote.."But going 135 and shoot a roll of outdated color negative?" 

Well I rummaged in my out of date draw.... all I could find was a roll of Agfapan 25 B+W dated 01/2004..120, actually very nice fine grain film, pity it wasn't 35mm....Oh that and a packet of old condoms....but that's another story.....I digress! :wub: 

Heh, I actually love looking down into the viewfinder with the mirrored view. Since it's different than what I can see with my own eyes, I can be more judgemental about the composition. Wish digital cameras had that feature (Lightroom has a mode like that). It's not really disorienting to compose neither, as there is a very simple trick. If you can't get your head around how the view moves right when  you move the camera to the left, just look at the subject while composing. You will automatically move the camera to right where you want.

I'm sorry I can't share you the secret of urinal metering. I can point you in the direction of the Ultimate Exposure Calculator though, if you didn't know it already.

About the expired color 135, well, I don't even shoot 135 anymore. Even when I did, I pretty much never shot color because digital can do it much better. As JoJu has written, if you're going to have a digital workflow in the end, why start with analog? And expired film? I would never. Simple as that. My girlfriend did it a few times and she was ruined when she found out all her beautiful photos on a roll came out unusable due to an almost dead film with purple color only and bubbles. She swore never to do it again. However, I don't regard 2-3 years of expiration as anything significant so don't point fingers if you see me using something expired in 2016.

Color film on 6x6 is a whole different thing though. That is still worth it over digital IMHO.
Not only do i use film, sometimes I do worst, I use my first DSLR: Canon 300D, needless to say it is inferior to film.

If you want end result and want great prints it is digital of course, if you know what to expect and just want to use something else, just for the enjoyment of doing it, why not ?
there are more environmental friendly ways to waste some time, but do as you please.

Color film on 6x6 is a <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.instagram.com/p/BSOPPxqg_E7/" title="External link">whole</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-z8UEA51R/" title="External link">different</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.instagram.com/p/BQAxLWDj19Q/" title="External link">thing</a> though. That is still worth it over digital IMHO.

Don't worry Obican I get it I really do!..... a very enjoyable and creative pastime, it's a shame we can't see your actual prints, that's what it's all about after all!  It's actually a long time since I've seen a large silver halide quality print, they are something quite special!

Oh, as to the urinal metering, I can only assume you are on the bag!

Don't worry too much they are making tremendous medical progress....get yourself on the short list....at least that's my advice!   Tongue

At least for the finder I also agree. After a while you get so used to it to follow the objects in your finder which are at least upright. However, I sometimes thought about composition in a horizontally mirrored way which made things a bit more interesting. I'm right handed as most of us and so is our world of switches and gear shifts, hairdryers, cameras - I just seen a left hand portemonnaie. I was doing dance photography with the Mamiya (and plenty of DoF, otherwise all pictures would have been out of focus).