Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma EX 12-24/4,5-5,6 DG HSM
Any opinions about the Sigma EX 12-24/4,5-5,6 DG HSM? Wonder if there will be any full format tests of this lens here on Photozone? The aps-c test was not so good but I have noticed that other test sites has get very good results with this lens.

regards Pierre Stjernfeldt Sweden
[size="3"]I use Sigma 12-24 on d700 for a while. It is not without flaws, like any ultrawide zoom are. There are problems of distortion, flare, CA,… and sharpness on 24mm Nikkor 24-70/2.8 is better. There is possibilitie that 12Mp FX is not so extremely pretentious comparable to new more Mp sensors. [/size]

[size="3"]Positive attributes are: goes really wide, not so expensive, not so heavy,… [/size]

[size="3"]Nice day j[/size]
Just in case you haven't read this review, you can check the one at Juza Photography: http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/si...review.htm
Other Reviews

- Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review by Petteri Sulonen

- Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM user reviews on Fred Miranda Forum

- Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review by Photozone

I have surfed around on the net about this lens and I think it gets suprisingly god reviews. I think that if you aren't satisfied with the lens you can just send it back and you will probably get a better one back.

I hope that photozone will make a full format test of this lens but not with the same ex as last time
I have posted an example here a while ago. I absolutely hated it. I tried a total of 4 of these lenses, two of which I took home. In the end I exchanged it for a Nikkor 14-24 with G-EOS adapter at twice the price. It's worth it. And the TS-E 17 is worth it even more, even at 3X the price.

At least, that's my opinion. I use the whole frame, compose for the whole frame, I don't crop, unless I really have no choice. The Sigma has incredible vignetting, has a lot of CA in th ecorners, and smears details in about 30 % of the picture area, making it totally useless for my purposes. If you look at the Juza review, you'll be able to spot this too, even though he seems to have a better specimen - just check the details in the granite rocks in the corners of the sample picture (snow landscape with stream). I'd really like to see how that looks in a 24"X 36" print, although I do think I know. I've seen this type of smearing in many more pics taken with the 12-24 EX on the internet. Also check the lateral CA in the top left and top right. My lenses had a bit more than this, though.

Indeed, its only advantages are that it can do 12 mm on FF, that it has virtually no distortion, and that it is (relatively) cheap.

Give me shifted images with the TS-E 17 any day, however, even if it is more of an effort, and three times the price.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='wim' timestamp='1289614665' post='4137']

I have posted an example here a while ago. I absolutely hated it. I tried a total of 4 of these lenses, two of which I took home. [/quote]

Thats what I wanted - Reply from someone who has used it.