Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to update ACR with PS CS2?
Good day all,

I am still using Photoshop CS2 which is fine for me, but I would love to update ACR, because it is somewhat limited. It is possible to just update ACR separatly or do I have to buy the latest version of Photoshop?

Hope to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Reinier
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1286267100' post='3488']

Good day all,

I am still using Photoshop CS2 which is fine for me, but I would love to update ACR, because it is somewhat limited. It is possible to just update ACR separatly or do I have to buy the latest version of Photoshop?

Hope to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

No, it is not possible. Adobe links new versions of ACR to new versions of Photoshop.

If you have a Canon camera you can use DPP (newest version) to convert RAW and have it send the developed 16bit TIFF to Photoshop. If you have a Mac, you can use RPP and have Photoshop open the developed 16bit TIFF file.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1286271184' post='3491']

No, it is not possible. Adobe links new versions of ACR to new versions of Photoshop.

If you have a Canon camera you can use DPP (newest version) to convert RAW and have it send the developed 16bit TIFF to Photoshop. If you have a Mac, you can use RPP and have Photoshop open the developed 16bit TIFF file.

[/quote]

This is - unfortunately - the truth. However, you can use also Adobes free DNG Converter and convert all new camera raws to Adobes DNG format and than use your old ACR version.

[url="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4803"]http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4803[/url]

Bye,

Sebastian
If you want to use the new features coming with Camera RAW 6.2 you have either upgrade to CS5 or use Lightroom 3.2 together with CS2.

The way Camera RAW is implemented into CS is APITA, pardon my french. Much, much more convinient in LR.

You can evaluate LR 3.2 for 30 days and decide if it fits your needs or not.

Ciao, Walter (LR 3.2 + CS5 extended + Plug-Ins)
Thanks guys for the replies.

Walter, did you mean buying LR 3 instead of CS5? I already have LR 2 and DPP from Canon, but I mainly use Photoshop so far. Maybe I should get to know LR better or should I buy another converter altogther like DXO or ACDSee?

Best wishes,

Reinier
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1286292863' post='3501']

Walter, did you mean buying LR 3 instead of CS5? I already have LR 2 and DPP from Canon, but I mainly use Photoshop so far. Maybe I should get to know LR better or should I buy another converter altogther like DXO or ACDSee?

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

Hey Reinier,

you can also try Capture One - it is a very good alternative to LR...

[url="http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx"]http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx[/url]

Bye Sebastian

I already have LR 2 and DPP from Canon, but I mainly use Photoshop so far. [/quote]

You can use LR to do the main conversion work as well as basic adjustments, but you can also setup up an export to CS2 (as TIFF/PSD/PNG/JPG/whatever) for mor advanced work ... and save the result back to LR.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I wrote I do have LR, but that's just a trial version by the way.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1286292863' post='3501']Walter, did you mean buying LR 3 instead of CS5?[/quote]

Indeed!

[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1286292863' post='3501']I already have LR 2 and DPP from Canon, but I mainly use Photoshop so far. Maybe I should get to know LR better or should I buy another converter altogther like DXO or ACDSee?[/quote]

Your mileage may vary!

I liked DxO (v3 and v4) being a newbie to digital imaging. Not willing able to fight with RAW development, DxO was my tool: Fire and forget. If something went wrong - like it did if I missed to correct white balance/colour temperature - I restarted the process. Worked well and time is not a problem (at least for me).

After quite a while I really got annoyed about what it did to portraits, the colour shifts, the crappy demosaicing engine and marginal lens support for my rather old-fashioned consumer cam (350D for about 4.5 years). At the time I really wanted to get rid of Dxo v4.x, they announced a new engine (DxO 5.x) and had a very bad start with it.

So I switched to LR2 and CS3/4 + PTlens. Nowadays I spend a lot more time in postprocessing ... partly because there are more steps to be done compared to DxO but mostly because I'm much more concerned about image quality now.

Disclaimer: I never used DxO 5.x and 6.x. The issues I had mentioned are based on my experience with v3 and v4 and the "bad start" is my personal opinion about issues with the first v5 as discussed in the DxO user forum.

I cannot say anything about ACDsee.

Ciao, Walter
What's wrong with how ACR and Photoshop works together?