Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE?
I own Canon 5D markII, Nikon D200 e Sony Nex-5 and I'm now interested in buying two Zeiss lenses (21mm f/2,8 and 50mm macro f/2). Main use would be on Canon, but I'm considering the purchase of a ZF version, in order to use these lenses on all my three bodies (I already own a "Nikon to Nex-5" adapter). Unfortunately, I don't have much information about the way "Nikon to Eos" adapter works. Is there any serious disadvantage I should consider? Thanks in advance for your help. Nicola
[quote name='fotomanic' timestamp='1285794430' post='3375']

I own Canon 5D markII, Nikon D200 e Sony Nex-5 and I'm now interested in buying two Zeiss lenses (21mm f/2,8 and 50mm macro f/2). Main use would be on Canon, but I'm considering the purchase of a ZF version, in order to use these lenses on all my three bodies (I already own a "Nikon to Nex-5" adapter). Unfortunately, I don't have much information about the way "Nikon to Eos" adapter works. Is there any serious disadvantage I should consider? Thanks in advance for your help. Nicola

[/quote]

Well, you'd loose the automatic aperture so the viewfinder gets darker if you stop down the lens.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1285795872' post='3376']

Well, you'd loose the automatic aperture so the viewfinder gets darker if you stop down the lens.

[/quote]

Yep, you lose camera aperture control, so how you use it is to focus wide open, then stop down to the aperture you want and do/judge the metering from there.

You then of course need to open the aperture again to judge focus for the next shot.

If you get an adapter with "focus confirmation chip" the camera's focus module will help you with a beep and lighting up AF point if it thinks you reached focus. An adapter without, will not let the camera help you in that respect.

All in all, it can be cumbersome.

I understand why you want a 21mm wide angle Zeiss on your 5D, but are you sure it still makes sense on the D200 and NEX? On the D200 I am sure you already have (a) lens(es) that cover 20mm (and all will work quite well stopped down), and on the NEX it makes even less sense... as the lens is not exactly pocketable. It even looks huge on a full frame 5D....

[Image: kit.jpg]

It makes a bit more sense to get the 50mm in ZF than the 21mm.
As far as I can understand this would be the so called "stop down" working mode, the same you have to use with old lenses like Contax 35mm... am I right? The viewfinder gets darker and darker as you close diaphragm, until you can't judge focus. I still can't understand if the metering system of the camera work with the lens, but maybe I already know enough to realize it was a silly idea. I'll take the ZE version and maybe an "eos to e-mount" adapter to use 50mm on Nex-5. Thanks for your reply. Nicola
[quote name='fotomanic' timestamp='1285864962' post='3401']

As far as I can understand this would be the so called "stop down" working mode, the same you have to use with old lenses like Contax 35mm... am I right? The viewfinder gets darker and darker as you close diaphragm, until you can't judge focus. I still can't understand if the metering system of the camera work with the lens, but maybe I already know enough to realize it was a silly idea. I'll take the ZE version and maybe an "eos to e-mount" adapter to use 50mm on Nex-5. Thanks for your reply. Nicola

[/quote]

Hi Nicola,

You should bear in mind that the Canon mount ZE lenses do not have an aperture ring, so if you can't change f-stop electronically on the NEX, you should go for the Nikon mount.
[quote name='fotomanic' timestamp='1285864962' post='3401']

[/quote]

The metering will work with any EOS camera. It is Nikon cameras who do not meter with certain lenses.

With Canon, if the camera lens does not give aperture information, metering does not get adjusted to the set aperture, as there will not be an aperture set on the camera. The camera then just meters what it sees... whether the lens is wide open, or stopped down.

Like Pinhole says, it is not a good idea to get a Canon mount version of the lens to use on your NEX, as you will not be able to close down aperture.

I would seriously think about what is the use of each lens on the NEX, and choose mount according to that. To me, the 21mm Zeiss on NEX makes no sense... the compactness argument disappears... and you do have a 5D mk II to do a better job when compactness is no argument anymore.

A Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 SL II would make more sense for the NEX...

Thank you all for your kindness.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1285796942' post='3377']

Yep, you lose camera aperture control, so how you use it is to focus wide open, then stop down to the aperture you want and do/judge the metering from there.

You then of course need to open the aperture again to judge focus for the next shot.

It makes a bit more sense to get the 50mm in ZF than the 21mm.

[/quote]

This is the reason I prefer Zeiss 50mm f2 ze version over ZF! In macro work with manual focus lens ze-version is much more practical than a lens with adapter. I have noticed this because I own both 50mm f2 ze and Zeiss Contax 60mm f2.8 S-Planar macro with adapter.

21mm distagon is a lens easier to use also with adapter, and it makes more sens to choose ZF-version. But I love my ze version!