Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE?
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1285795872' post='3376']

Well, you'd loose the automatic aperture so the viewfinder gets darker if you stop down the lens.

[/quote]

Yep, you lose camera aperture control, so how you use it is to focus wide open, then stop down to the aperture you want and do/judge the metering from there.

You then of course need to open the aperture again to judge focus for the next shot.

If you get an adapter with "focus confirmation chip" the camera's focus module will help you with a beep and lighting up AF point if it thinks you reached focus. An adapter without, will not let the camera help you in that respect.

All in all, it can be cumbersome.

I understand why you want a 21mm wide angle Zeiss on your 5D, but are you sure it still makes sense on the D200 and NEX? On the D200 I am sure you already have (a) lens(es) that cover 20mm (and all will work quite well stopped down), and on the NEX it makes even less sense... as the lens is not exactly pocketable. It even looks huge on a full frame 5D....

[Image: kit.jpg]

It makes a bit more sense to get the 50mm in ZF than the 21mm.

Messages In This Thread
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE? - by nicolamaniscalco - 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE? - by Brightcolours - 09-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE? - by nicolamaniscalco - 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Zeiss lenses on both Canon and Nikon: should I buy ZF or ZE? - by nicolamaniscalco - 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM