Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Camera Manufacturers Need to Learn from Fuji
Fuji's firmware update for X-Pro2 and X-T2 just came out.

I'll try it this weekend - just in time Smile Pity, there are no manuals for this extended firmware available at the moment, but they will come soon.
I think I second many "critic" comments on this thread, but my evaluation is really related to the nature of the firmware improvement. For instance, there is a set of "things" that are borderline between "bug" and "feature", and I'd like to see them corrected.

For instance: with the a6000 you can have three presets. Really useful, as I programmed #1 for stills and #2 for objects in motion. Useful not only because there is a lot of things that need to be different (priority mode, shutter, aperture, focusing mode, etc...), but also because there are circumstances in which you're shooting at landscapes and all of a sudden a flock of birds approaches, and it's possible you simply don't have the time to quickly change each setting.

For stills I want to have the auto-focusing command separated from the shutter, so I can focus and recompose; for objects in motion I want them activated by the trigger at the same time. Well, the relative setting is not part of the presets  Sad. When I fast switch I also have to navigate to a specific menu item, and lose seconds.

For Sony it's a feature, for me a bug. It wouldn't cost but a little to fix it in a firmware update, and I would have appreciated it.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
There are not much tests about firmware or user interface. Of course, testers do like the one or other feature, but in general we look closer to specs (how many fps?) than to usability (how do I set up this bloody drive mode?).

Personal preferences and experiences play a role. When we already worked with other systems we know some special features which were helpful or well thought or both. And moving to another system makes us miss this specific single part of a bigger package, so we know how it can help when well done and we also can conclude to the rest of the software when it's badly or not at all implemented.

Before Pentax DSLRs I bought my way through Sony F505 until F828. This made me feeling attracted to any movable display and some other features. The menu was short and simple, not too bad. Making the switch later from Pentax to Nikon, I didn't miss anything specific. Or I already forgot. Coming from Nikon to Fuji, I do miss a lot practical things. That reduces my fun using the camera although the pictures do satisfy me and others. But these others do not see the pictures I could have taken with a better thought and made menu.
Quote:I think I second many "critic" comments on this thread, but my evaluation is really related to the nature of the firmware improvement. For instance, there is a set of "things" that are borderline between "bug" and "feature", and I'd like to see them corrected.

For instance: with the a6000 you can have three presets. Really useful, as I programmed #1 for stills and #2 for objects in motion. Useful not only because there is a lot of things that need to be different (priority mode, shutter, aperture, focusing mode, etc...), but also because there are circumstances in which you're shooting at landscapes and all of a sudden a flock of birds approaches, and it's possible you simply don't have the time to quickly change each setting.

For stills I want to have the auto-focusing command separated from the shutter, so I can focus and recompose; for objects in motion I want them activated by the trigger at the same time. Well, the relative setting is not part of the presets  Sad. When I fast switch I also have to navigate to a specific menu item, and lose seconds.

For Sony it's a feature, for me a bug. It wouldn't cost but a little to fix it in a firmware update, and I would have appreciated it.

There are many more instances like that where Sony's presets just fail. For example one of my presets are set up for Flash Studio Photography. However, if you are using any of the preset modes (Doesn't matter what settings you have) you can't have wireless tethering via a mobile device. In the studio environment a mobile device with live view is a pretty useful thing to have, but Sony won't let you have it in the preset modes. Neither can you save the Setting Effect ON/OFF to one of those presets.

You can do the last one with the new a99ii though, finally. Will it come to the older (still in production and on sale) models? Never!
Quote:Fuji's firmware update for X-Pro2 and X-T2 just came out.

I'll try it this weekend - just in time Smile Pity, there are no manuals for this extended firmware available at the moment, but they will come soon.
  If you can face the agony the angry photographer is posting religiously about the new Fuji FW features, looks good actually, programmable focus points for portrait and landscape for example. 
This kind of feature is one of the weirder, IMO.

How often cna you see yourself shooting only landscape or only portrait in one setting? Or remember which settings you had chosen last time? I will try it, if it can do face recognition in portrait mode and normal in horizontal, maybe.

Tried. No different. But one of these settings you need a brain size of a planet to remember every exception the setting will not work. And Fuji makes a lot of these exceptions. For instance, going on AF-C, unclutching the focus ring so I could manual focus, is then only manual focus.

Unlike with AF-S. That mode autofocuses and then I can override any time, the display switching to a preselected focus help and I'm done. There are toms of such exceptions and very often, especially in stressy situations, I reall can't predict if it will do waht I think I selcted.

But the new pin point focus points are great. After I found out how to set the Auto ISO to a shutter speed where it takes care of the focisl length, i also enjoyed that. Today I was in The Hague's museum Voor Linden, great exhibition which happenend to be ready for presentation one day earlier, so it was not crowded although the exhibition is really worth to visit. Art can be so much fun...