Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about buying the GFX? Article by DpReview
Now I read a good bit more of this article, just not until the end. After a couple of sentences I thought "well, colleagues of Rishi Sanyal, stop mobbing him and borrow him the camera for one or two days, he's trying hard enough to make the Fuji look like a bad idea".

It is a very bad idea to talk in terms of "FF xx beats the Fuji in terms of whatever"- Fuji didn't make it to beat anything, as the concepts of a mirrorless FF+ (to me it's still no medium format, pardon me) with a tons of adaptors is something else than the concept of big brand high end DSLR with a more or less closed system of lenses.

The Fuji has some advantages - but not all. It doesn't need to be coming with fast or faster lenses and theoretical equivalencing doesn't lead to real-life views and pictures. Also, some of the adapters claim that longer lenses have enough performance to fill the image circle. We see tons of 85/1.4 or f/1.2, we see 105/1.4, 135/1.8 - voilà, there are the fast lenses.

And his sample picture with the 24-35/2 might be unparalleled - but there ARE 45/2.8 MF lenses and I bet, no one would see the difference in bokeh between equiv. f/2.5 and real f/2.8  Rolleyes And actually, as much as I like the rendering of the Sigma in his sample picture - I don't like the looks it does to the face of the model.

He's splitting a lot of hairs to prove the Fuji is nothing for him. That's cool, so somebody else will get his order sooner, because Rishi Sanyal doesn't come in between  Big Grin .

The price gap between the Fuji and any other high end FF DSLR is existing - but not as huge as between FF and, say Phase One or Hasselblad with their 50 MP backs. I'm looking forward to the next Kaizen update for X-T2. Today there was one, the next should bring a lot of new features and Fuji will play this kind of game also with the GFX line. I call that securing the investment - anyone able to say the same about expensive Nikons? What did the last firmware update bring except bug-fixes?

Maybe it's not the same difference as it was in the old days when going from 135 to at least 6×4.5/120 was kind of a real improvement - I could remain with beloved Ilford HP-5 or even T-Max 400 and there was so much more tonality and less grain on the negatives, less dust to remove after printing, bigger end formats and easier composings in the finder - a part of that Fuji will bring in. And stepping over a crowded FF market and go straight beyond with a new concept for this kind of sensor size is basically a good thing.

Last word: Yes, fast lenses are a lot around for DSLR - but with them, the need of extremely time consuming AF adjustments and hoping the AF will guess good enough also come along. Mirrorless is not always better, but in terms of focusing preferable.

Messages In This Thread
Thinking about buying the GFX? Article by DpReview - by JJ_SO - 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Thinking about buying the GFX? Article by DpReview - by davidmanze - 03-22-2017, 04:39 AM
Thinking about buying the GFX? Article by DpReview - by Guest - 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Thinking about buying the GFX? Article by DpReview - by Guest - 10-07-2017, 09:57 PM