Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern wild life
I took a few pictures with 1.4x + 70-200 f4L is. Here are two samples (imho they are all front focused)

(hum seems with quota I'm only allowed one file)
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1283202229' post='2349']

I took a few pictures with 1.4x + 70-200 f4L is. Here are two samples (imho they are all front focused)

(hum seems with quota I'm only allowed one file)

[/quote]

It is difficult to tell from this shot. Its not the sharpest in the world and the water doesnt appear to get any more in focus in front of the seal. Where did you focus and did you recompose?

Allan
Hum. I think I was probably focusing on the seal in the water but perhaps I should have been focusing on the one growling. Unfortunately we were on a boat leaving the area when a bit of action happened and there was not much time for the picture (the camera was rebel xsi in single shot mode).

Some of the eagles shots are a bit nicer but I'm beginning to think I need 3x shutter speed with this combo for a chance of anything critically sharp.

The reason I though it was front focused is because the water in front of the seal seem a bit sharper but maybe it is just my imagination or less motion blur. Not real happy with this image.
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1283257721' post='2364']

Hum. I think I was probably focusing on the seal in the water but perhaps I should have been focusing on the one growling. Unfortunately we were on a boat leaving the area when a bit of action happened and there was not much time for the picture (the camera was rebel xsi in single shot mode).

Some of the eagles shots are a bit nicer but I'm beginning to think I need 3x shutter speed with this combo for a chance of anything critically sharp.

The reason I though it was front focused is because the water in front of the seal seem a bit sharper but maybe it is just my imagination or less motion blur. Not real happy with this image.

[/quote]

If it is front focussing then it doesnt show massively in this shot. The one thing which gets most rebel users when using telephotos is that the AF points are huge. They are significantly bigger than what you see in the viewfinder. The AF point will choose the closest* high contrast portion to focus on and you have no control over that. Add to the problem that if you were on a boat and swaying, even the smallest back and fore movement could cause out of focus shots - perhaps using servo would have helped?

Allan

*closest distance to where it is currently focussed so it might focus behind or in front if there are multiple high contrast areas.
I'll load the raw up in dpp and see where it thinks the focus point was. Bit of a pain since dpp won't load files over network devices (I store all the images on linux raid system)
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1283265352' post='2369']

I'll load the raw up in dpp and see where it thinks the focus point was. Bit of a pain since dpp won't load files over network devices (I store all the images on linux raid system)

[/quote]

I didnt realise DPP had that limitation. Do you have it mapped as a network drive?
I think network drive is the correct term. I can access it via most dos/windows xp commands but when I try to change directories with dpp it doesnt' show up as an option. network drive might be the wrong term. I export it via samba on the local net.
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1283270378' post='2373']

I think network drive is the correct term. I can access it via most dos/windows xp commands but when I try to change directories with dpp it doesnt' show up as an option. network drive might be the wrong term. I export it via samba on the local net.

[/quote]

If it shows up as a drive letter then it is a mapped network drive. These are the most compatible types as the application just accesses the drive as if it were any other...
I was able to read it off of my network places (not sure what problem I had previously with dpp). Dpp sez the focus spot was the buoy right next to the seal in the water (near his nose). Turning sharpness up to 4 seems to help a bit (maybe a bit over done). Oh well it is kind of a sucky picture maybe I should just forget about it and focus on the better ones.