Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ Lens Test Report: Sony E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
A quite decent "kit" zoom lens ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-...55f3556nex
Still a step behind similar kit lens offerings from Canon & Nikon, e.g., http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/4...0d?start=1
[quote name='thw' timestamp='1282749188' post='2159']

Still a step behind similar kit lens offerings from Canon & Nikon, e.g., http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/4...0d?start=1

[/quote]

It's a step-up from Canon & Nikon kits. Optically they are close, but E-mount lens has better build-quality, and stepless apeture and silent AF during video. It's a step up.
[quote name='oneguy' timestamp='1282774644' post='2174']

It's a step-up from Canon & Nikon kits. Optically they are close, but E-mount lens has better build-quality, and stepless apeture and silent AF during video. It's a step up.[/quote]

Pleaaaase... did you even bother to click on the link above? Optically, they are close? Pffffft...
[quote name='thw' timestamp='1282774879' post='2175']

Pleaaaase... did you even bother to click on the link above? Optically, they are close? Pffffft...

[/quote]

Yes, I did, and both got 3.5 star for optical quality, but Sony lens is better build and works with video with silent AF. Canon is all plastic and doesn't.
[quote name='oneguy' timestamp='1282804615' post='2183']

Yes, I did, and both got 3.5 star for optical quality, but Sony lens is better build and works with video with silent AF. Canon is all plastic and doesn't.[/quote]

Klauss' optical quality scores are based entirely on various aspects of lens designs.

In real use, distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting are most EASILY corrected in post-processing, so the only criteria worth considering are resolution, flare and bokeh. Since the latter two aspects are not presented, the only aspect left is resolution. If you miss out the details, you can never recover them.

Now, look at 18, 24-28 mm and 55 mm. Examine performance at border/extreme relative to the center. Take off your fanboyz glasses and stare at the optical results.
[quote name='thw' timestamp='1282831335' post='2220']

Klauss' optical quality scores are based entirely on various aspects of lens designs.

In real use, distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting are most EASILY corrected in post-processing, so the only criteria worth considering are resolution, flare and bokeh. Since the latter two aspects are not presented, the only aspect left is resolution. If you miss out the details, you can never recover them.

Now, look at 18, 24-28 mm and 55 mm. Examine performance at border/extreme relative to the center. Take off your fanboyz glasses and stare at the optical results.

[/quote]

There are two ways of "correcting" CA. One will improve resolution, one won't.

Not all CA can actually be corrected the "right" way, that very much depends on the wavelength(s) that are offending.

Correcting distortion will lose resolution. You can not just look at resolution and think "you can not recover details", and then also say distortion correcting is easy and not problematic, as it will lose you more resolution than you think.

On another note:

Is that pincushion distortion at 35mm from the Sony a negative record? I do not remember a similar bad pincushion result right now.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1282831801' post='2221']

There are two ways of "correcting" CA. One will improve resolution, one won't.

Not all CA can actually be corrected the "right" way, that very much depends on the wavelength(s) that are offending.

Correcting distortion will lose resolution. You can not just look at resolution and think "you can not recover details", and then also say distortion correcting is easy and not problematic, as it will lose you more resolution than you think.

[/quote]

A formal bokeh analysis is pointless for slow speed lenses. We're talking about a "27-83mm f/5-8" here. There're a few bokeh shots in the sample image section though. As far as flare is concerned - show us a really reliable method with field relevance.

As far as your correction argument is concerned - frankly, I'd guess that 80% of the users do not care. They want to have everything fixed right out-of-the-box. Panasonic is just doing that which is probably one factor for their recent success.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1282718228' post='2132']

A quite decent "kit" zoom lens ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-...55f3556nex

[/quote]

I wonder whether that 3.5 star optics rating is justified. Looks like fairly low border resolution throughout to me... and on a further note, this seems to be a trend for that system.
[quote name='BG_Home' timestamp='1283036016' post='2287']

I wonder whether that 3.5 star optics rating is justified. Looks like fairly low border resolution throughout to me... and on a further note, this seems to be a trend for that system.

[/quote]

3.5pts vary between 3.25 and 3.74. The Sony lens is certainly at the lower end of the scale here.