Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon G11 replacement
Quote:My replacement for my G10 is an Olympus Pen F Smile. Slightly bigger, with 14-42 EZ zoom, so less zoom, but IQ quite a bit better, and very small, quite good zoom - it is a pan cake type lens when not in use. For me it also doubles as second MFT body. However, it is well over a 1000 euros still.

Olympus in general and µ4/3 don't have the reputation of decent lowlight capabilities. And as said, I don't want another interchangeable lens system, of these I have more than enough.

Quote:You could also look at some of the smaller DSLR-like OM-D bodies, like the EM-10 Mk II which retails new for around 600 euros these days, or a used EM-5 Mk II, which happens to be weathersealed, anmd over here with lens goes for around 700 to 800 euros (with warranty and with very little use). Both are slightly smaller than the Pen F, althought slightly fatter.
The form factor is crucial and I'd prefer a more simple UI, such as my Sigma Merrills have - not much to set up, but it's done quickly. 

Quote:...Personally, I love the Pen F a lot, and it is more than a match for my old G10 - but then, that would be obvious Smile.

The G11 already was far better than the G11, IQ and high ISO especially.

Quote:Since you do have an investment in Fuji already, you could maybe consider one of the smaller Fuji ILC cameras with a compact standard zoom lens. Or even a used X100.

I can say that a dozen times more: No MORE interchangeable system. It has to be simple and quick and should deliver decent IQ.

Quote:Good compacts, based on tests I read, could be teh Panasonic LX100 III, but then, I have no clue as to pricing, and it does not have an OVF.

There are 3rd party OVFs, BTW, which you could mount to a hot shoe, maybe that is a solution. Some even have aids for focusing, but those tend to be rather expensive (approx. $400 based on what I saw last).

Again, I don't want to buy tons of accessories which are usually coming with lots of downsides. For the Merril DP1 I bought an OVF - at 2/3 of the price of the camera, not very useful becuae it's basically a piece of glass with some marks in it. Same goes for dp0quattro: Nice OVF, very expensive, not too much of a use (no levels, displays - which is the same with G11, but there it's inbuilt)

I see I need to check the 2nd hand market. Thanks for your answers, it confirms more or less my impression "actually, there's nothing around like a G11".

Big Grin

If you do not want to go ILC, well, yeah, you will likely just have to get another G11 Smile. As to ILCs: you don't have to change lenses, you know <ROFL>.

For me it also was about downsizing, to a degree. I now only have 3 digital cameras and a single analog camera left, and that was 5 and 5 just before Christmas, with 45+ lenses; the latter has more or less halved Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
The Panasonic LX-100 would fit the bill perfectly except for the tilting/swivel screen.

Looks like what you're after doesn't exist... new at least!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Let's go directly there.....Canon G11

Le bon coin site:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/offre...1&parrot=0

PS. JoJu, "avoid" anything from "La Réunion", there's one there!
There's also the G12 available 2nd hand. At the time I was tempted because of a bit better video, but most was about the same as G11. Buying 2nd hand already now it doesn't matter anymore if G11 or 12.

But then, although "soft lens wide open", the G5X from Canon has some nice features like the touch tilt swivel display. That makes a lot of menu stuff easier to access.

I also checked DPReview's buying guide - you're right, Florent, except the fixed display the LX100 would be a great idea. Now I read a bit about Fuji X30 (until this evening I wasn't aware this thing exists) with 12 fps, but tiny 1/â…”" sensor and a lot of marketing blurb around... Next step will be getting the manuals - often they tell more than advertisement.

I know, I don't need to chance lenses when buying ILC - but why wasting money on a mount I would not use? And then ending with 45 lenses, Wim?  Big Grin I put the 18-55/2.8-4 in front of an X-E2. It needs double the space in a bag than the G11. This is nothing to put in a normal pocket, and the G11 already was a big chunk.

Compact cameras suffered most from smart phones, many even predict compacts have no future... Maybe if you had a smartphone you wouldn't have  been enthusiast for a compact
the thing with a smartPHONE is, that it's baiscally meant to make phonecalls - even if all people use it to test the kindness of other people to not bump into these brainamputated smartphone-owners.

It was not planned as a substitute brain although it appears it can outperform most owners of around two braincells.

You really think I want to look like a stupid idiot when taking a picture? I'm sorry, I don't see myself doing that. Standing there with the sun in the back and guessing what's on the screen  :lol:

Quote:The Panasonic LX-100 would fit the bill perfectly except for the tilting/swivel screen.

Looks like what you're after doesn't exist... new at least!

DPReview recommends the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100. You're right, no tilt swivel display, but the camera has interesting features and I once had a Panasonic µ4/3 which had a very pleasing touchscreen.

The thing is just, I used the G11 also in my job and the tilt-swivel display too often made "the shot possible", as most of our machines I need to describe have narrow spaces where optical axis and finder axis is not working well together.

Next to the fact I also find it very useful for low levels, strange tripod positions and so on.

I will look into the Pana, maybe also find out how WiFi/NFC and my iPod touch go together. For Nikon's idea of WiFi their app sucked big style, but Panasonic could have done a better job.
Panasonic LX was the one I was thinking of as well. Could not remember the name though.

NFC will be worthless on iPod touch. Sony's NFC works amazingly well on Android devices, in pretty much every scenario.  If you are in playback, a NFC touch

-Activates transfer mode on camera

-Turns the WiFi on 

-Turns the WiFi of the phone on

-If the phone is connected to another WiFi network, disconnects from that one

-Establishes the WiFi connection between camera and the phone

-Launches the App on the phone

-Initiates the transfer

-Transfers the image on display from the camera to the phone

-Exits the transfer mode on camera

-Disconnects all WiFi

-Turns the WiFi on the phone off if it was off before

All this with a single touch. On Appleverse, you have to do all these steps manually. If you want to do wireless tethering, it's the same deal. A lot of app launching, WiFi connections etc, gets quite boring quite fast. Fuji is also pretty much the same, I think you are more familiar with that one.

Oh btw, if you think LX100 is good enough, why don't you also have a look at the Sony RX100MIII and above?

Canon's WiFi Android/iOS app works pretty good. But you need two sets of hands if you need to position and hold the camera, and then also operate the other device.