Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpness Test
Hello there,

I was wondering, how to find that I get the maximum sharpness out of a given lens? PZ has very nice charts, but the data may vary according to the lens.

Is there any method which I can do it by myself to see what maximum sharpness I can get from that lens?

thanda.
Why would you care about the maximum sharpness? More important to a photograph is the chosen focal length and the chosen DOF. Even contrast is more important...

So, if you still care about sharpness, it must be because you feel you can SEE the maximum sharpness, right?

Then it is not hard to do... just make photos at different distances with different aperture settings, and look at the photos. Since you feel it is important because you can see it, just see it... Simple, really.
Well sharpness is one of the thing I personally care. :-)

The websites like 'PZ' which provides data on sharpness are pretty useful to come to any decision before I buy a lens or two, but in many instance I do not own the body which they use for those test and in that case, it will be very interesting to acquire the sharpness data by myself.

I may be ignorant that sharpness does not depend upon camera body, but I do not know that yet.

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1281696332' post='1733']

Why would you care about the maximum sharpness? More important to a photograph is the chosen focal length and the chosen DOF. Even contrast is more important...

So, if you still care about sharpness, it must be because you feel you can SEE the maximum sharpness, right?

Then it is not hard to do... just make photos at different distances with different aperture settings, and look at the photos. Since you feel it is important because you can see it, just see it... Simple, really.

[/quote]
[quote name='thanda' timestamp='1281695080' post='1732']

Is there any method which I can do it by myself to see what maximum sharpness I can get from that lens?

[/quote]

Besides using the lens at different apertures and thoroughly inspecting the results you mean?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to stop down 2-3 stops (but no more than f/8 on crop-1.6 and

f/11 on fullframe) and trust in the old rule, that lenses gain quality when stopped down.

Franky, I would't worry too much about it ... as already said, there are more important

factors that using the lens at the stop with maximum performance.

Just my 2cts ... Rainer
[quote name='thanda' timestamp='1281697222' post='1734']

Well sharpness is one of the thing I personally care. :-)

The websites like 'PZ' which provides data on sharpness are pretty useful to come to any decision before I buy a lens or two, but in many instance I do not own the body which they use for those test and in that case, it will be very interesting to acquire the sharpness data by myself.

I may be ignorant that sharpness does not depend upon camera body, but I do not know that yet.

[/quote]

Sharpness does not depend on camera body. If a lens is sharper than other lenses, tested on a particular camera body, then lens will also be sharper than others when put on different camera bodies.

The only "exception" is lenses tested on APS-C, you can not be certain how those lenses will perform on full frame 135 format, as on APS-C the edges are not used, and on full frame they are.
[quote name='Rainer' timestamp='1281697525' post='1735']

Besides using the lens at different apertures and thoroughly inspecting the results you mean?

All those questions arose, when on of the guy want to test his Sigma 50mm F1.4 and came complaining that it is not sharp enough on his EOS 7D.

Finally with some MA he can able to produce some image with different F which are considerably sharper then his previous post, and with that I was wondering is there any handy method to test the sharpness in case of calibration(from company) and MA.

I normally trade-off between bokeh and sharpness with my EF 50mm F1.4 on a 1.6x body till now I have no complaints with the existing gear.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to stop down 2-3 stops (but no more than f/8 on crop-1.6 and

f/11 on fullframe) and trust in the old rule, that lenses gain quality when stopped down.

Franky, I would't worry too much about it ... as already said, there are more important

Just my 2cts ... Rainer

[/quote]
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1281697537' post='1736']

Sharpness does not depend on camera body. If a lens is sharper than other lenses, tested on a particular camera body, then lens will also be sharper than others when put on different camera bodies.

The only "exception" is lenses tested on APS-C, you can not be certain how those lenses will perform on full frame 135 format, as on APS-C the edges are not used, and on full frame they are.

[/quote]

Indeed, I always trade-off for bokeh and sharpness at-least with my 50mm F1.4 on a 1.6x body.
[quote name='Rainer' timestamp='1281697525' post='1735']

Just my 2cts ... Rainer

[/quote]

All those questions arose, when on of the guy want to test his Sigma 50mm F1.4 and came complaining that it is not sharp enough on his EOS 7D.

Finally with some MA he can able to produce some image with different F which are considerably sharper then his previous post, and with that I was wondering is there any handy method to test the sharpness in case of calibration(from company) and MA.

I normally trade-off between bokeh and sharpness with my EF 50mm F1.4 on a 1.6x body till now I have no complaints with the existing gear.