Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light loss: Why do similar lenses exhibit such a big difference?
[quote name='wim' date='22 July 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1279816442' post='1245']

Ok, something is at play, and the only way to find out is make sure all variables are eliminated except one. Which means setting up a testing environment indoors, with controlled lighting, test all metering modes, too, and take photographs.[/quote]

I do not have the facilities and resources to do that.

[quote name='wim' date='22 July 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1279816442' post='1245']

I have used many MF lenses, and they all metered differently, at different f-stops (closing the lens down manually). After a while you get to know the lenses, so I didn't really care too much about this. I do know. I also know that my C/Y 50 F/1.4 overexposes by more than 1 stop wide open on my Canon bodies, and is accurate from F/2.8, +/- 1/3 of an f-stop. What causes that I don't know. Personally, I took it as a given. Similarly, my Leitz-R 60 Macro. It underexposes at any f-stop, from about a 1/2 wide open to 1/3 at the others.[/quote]

I must admit this is the most amazing thing I have ever heard. I never thought things like this exist with such magnitude. Thank you for your insight. Nevertheless, when shooting with the Mamiya (i.e. actually taking pictures, not testing) I never had to apply any EC. I always assumed it's because the camera meters TTL and does not care which lens is attached.

Messages In This Thread
Light loss: Why do similar lenses exhibit such a big difference? - by Yakim - 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM