Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus by wire, a catastrophe low light landscape
That "turning in the wrong direction" thing is also quite funny and annoying in the wide angles I've mentioned btw. You can set the direction of the focus ring in the menus, but then they don't match with the distance numbers at all Big Grin.

I know, but no matter how I set the direction, I simply am not able to learn which is the one for ∞.

What's also strange with the Fuji: The distance scale goes from 0.1 m  - ∞, no matter what the lens really can do. These interface designers must live in a special kind of reality... and work hard (to make it more complicated) and never go outside to use their products.

You mean interface design interns. They usually finish their internship after a few months and go do their next one in Sony.

As I said, special kind of reality  ^_^ interns, then? So I should not complain because of unpaid work?  :unsure:

Focusing a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is difficult ? Well, what do you expect regarding the DoF. :-)

That's not limited to focus-by-wire though.

The only way to do it is magnified live-view (which is what I am also using for all manual focus SLR lenses).

Honestly I would never use a DSLR viewfinder (without split-image screen) for manual focusing - it is completely pointless IMHO. All comments about manual focus accuracy are based on this use case (magnified live-view or magnified electronic viewfinder).

I'd rely on a carefully adjusted MF-Confirmation beep when using a DSLR viewfinder too. Otherwise, Live View is the absolute way to go.

Quote:I'd rely on a carefully adjusted MF-Confirmation beep when using a DSLR viewfinder too. Otherwise, Live View is the absolute way to go.

That one (focus confirmation) is very unreliable in DSLRs in my opinion.
Even more unreliable than normal AF? [Image: duckw100x18.gif]

Reeeaally? Is that possible?

Quote:That one (focus confirmation) is very unreliable in DSLRs in my opinion.

Had good times on my 5D after microadjustment. However, it was merely 12 MP so that might be why.
It very much depends on the lens' aberrations whether focus confirmation is accurate.