Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How different are third party lenses for Canon, Nikon and others?
  :lol: Good one, obican! I think, the name and it's reputation came originally from Carl Zeiss, the microscope makers. Back in 1890, when they made micrsocopes which were better than others, just by try and error.

Roger Cigalla wrote interesting blog articles about their history with names like Schott, Abbé, Petzval, Rudolph.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/10...es-number/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11...the-world/

So, it was Zeiss Jena until the company split to Zeiss Jena (GDR) and Carl Zeiss, Oberkochen (FRG), now I lost interest for the network of the company. I once was in Oberkochen to have a lens fixed. The focus point for infinity at the time was on a different building 60 or 70 metres away. My business letter was handwritten at the time, my parents and neither me had a typewriter at hand. I still have the copy of it. But they took care, the guys from Zeiss. I think it was Zeiss Oberkochen developing the T* coating they benefitted a lot from - the 85/1.4 Zeiss Jena was a very "normal glass" looking not magenta coloured. A friend adapted it to his Rolleiflex (135 film, yes, there was one SLR from them, made in Singapore). Great resolution, horrible contrast. But cheap like dirt.

As Fuji lists the Touits on their lens line-up, I think you're not far away from the truth. Haven't seen Nikon listing Tamrons or Sigmas...

So, all lenses are pretty much the same. Thanks for your replies.

Talking about Zeiss optics. Is Zeiss manufactured under lince by Cosina or do they own the brand?

Are most of the lenses of the big brands made in China these days or are there still camera lenses being made in Germany and Japan or other countries?

Kind regards,

Reinier
Zeiss (apparently*) designs them, Cosina makes them and Zeiss sells them without ever mentioning Cosina. 

*Apparently: Tamron has patents that perfectly describe and detail Zeiss' Batis line of lenses. Many people believe those lenses to be Tamron designs manufactured by Cosina and badged, priced and sold by Zeiss at a premium.

Quote:So, all lenses are pretty much the same. Thanks for your replies.

Talking about Zeiss optics. Is Zeiss manufactured under lince by Cosina or do they own the brand?

Are most of the lenses of the big brands made in China these days or are there still camera lenses being made in Germany and Japan or other countries?

Kind regards,

Reinier

AFAIK for law reasons, all sigmas are made in Japan if country of manufacturing is important to you 
No, it doesn't matter where a lens is made. Although having said that, I do care how a company is run. If they under pay the people who manufactor the equipment or they damage the environment, then yes, I do mind.

But that is a problem, that it is not always clear and sometimes hard to find out.

Kind regards,

Reinier