Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Distagon T* 25/2.8 finally available as ZF.2
Press release here:

http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/Web...enDocument

I'm a little surprised to read no word about any optical redesign. I thought that was the reason for the delay (including the ZE model)?

Unfortunately, dedicated MTF charts for the ZF.2 version are not available on the Zeiss site (yet?).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' date='08 June 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1276007786' post='342']

Press release here:

http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/Web...enDocument

I'm a little surprised to read no word about any optical redesign. I thought that was the reason for the delay (including the ZE model)?

Unfortunately, dedicated MTF charts for the ZF.2 version are not available on the Zeiss site (yet?).

-- Markus

[/quote]

Yes I was surprised by this; I couldn't see an element diagram anywhere either (the old one didn't have a floating element, did it?). I hope they haven't just re-released it with electronics. Diglloyd on his site says that Zeiss had told him it was being optically redesigned.
[quote name='DavidBM' date='08 June 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1276012470' post='344']

Yes I was surprised by this; I couldn't see an element diagram anywhere either (the old one didn't have a floating element, did it?). I hope they haven't just re-released it with electronics. Diglloyd on his site says that Zeiss had told him it was being optically redesigned.

[/quote]

Where does it say floating elements ?
Nowhere, I guess David just wanted confirmed there were no floating elements on the old one (correct) so there's little hope for these in the new one.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='Klaus' date='08 June 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1276017403' post='347']

Where does it say floating elements ?

[/quote]

Markus is right; I was just asking for confirmation that the old one had no floating elements because one of the rumors about the re-design was that it would. That way, if I found info that this ZF2 had floating elements, I'd know it was a re-design. Doesn't look promising at this stage though.
[quote name='mst' date='08 June 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1276019130' post='348']

Nowhere, I guess David just wanted confirmed there were no floating elements on the old one (correct) so there's little hope for these in the new one.

-- Markus

[/quote]

They kept the design - ZF.2 is just "checked" on their website among the other mounts. So unfortunately no new design. The field curvature problem remains.
Also just read it at digilloyd:

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2010-06-blo...608Zeiss25

Surprise: according to him no ZE version is planned.

Optically unchanged, the lens remains what it currently is: not a good choice for landscapes, but a remarkable tool for close up work with an unusual perpective.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com