Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big & heavy lenses - is that a thing now?
Size is a requirement for my travel set now:
  • Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8
  • Sony 28/2
  • Sony 35/2.8 ZA
  • Zeiss Loxia 50/2
  • Sony 55/1.8 ZA
  • Contax G 90/2.8
I also got a Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 that I use for portraits but I might replace it with the new smaller Sony 85/1.8

Voigtlander to the rescute, just in time:

35/1.4 for Sony E mount:

[Image: 01.jpeg]

40/1.2 for Sony E-Mount:

[Image: 02.jpeg]

These are smart-manual focus lenses like Zeiss Loxia which means while being completely mechanical, they still transfer full EXIF data to the camera body and even activate MF-Assist when you turn the focus ring.

I like to provoke a bit, but manual focus are a waste of highly developed AF systems  Big Grin

At the other side, more compact and lightweight is simply impossible with AF lenses.

I like focusing manually time to time, especially if a lens is designed for that purpose. You learn to depend on your skills and anticipation except of trusting camera's AF system which will fail every now and then. 

However, just like the Zeiss' Loxia series, it is an absolutely dumb decision to give them a completely mechanical aperture which only works at shooting aperture, all the time. Just put a tiny motor, magnet, actuator or whatever inside the lens to have it close down to the shooting aperture only at the time of the bloody shooting. Even completely mechanical cameras from 50s got this right but we can't have it on a camera designed in this decade? And the reason people in the 40s and 50s tried to solve mechanical puzzles to design a system which behaves like that is because it makes damn sense. Not in 2017, apparently. Why? Because it's cool to have a completely mechanical lens that will last forever? The Sony FE lens mount probably won't live that long so why bother?

Quote:   Whilst we are talking about the ever increasing size of lenses.......

Pentax "sort of announces" a new 50mm F1.4 lens, it's bigger, better and no doubt will have a bigger and better price tag!

Why they started with another 50mm is a bit of a surprise as they have quite a few at around that focal length already, the 55mm F1.4 hasn't been that long for this world.  It will be no doubt very welcome to K1 shooters who are discovering the benefits of Pentax's pixel shift technology.......

Keep them coming Pentax!

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info...14597.html
The 55/1.4 is officially an APS-C lens anyway, though one "with benefits".  Wink They, sorta, can't really tell the users "our lineup is so barren that you have to use a lens officially not meant for that format as a stopgap", so getting at least a 35/50/85 f/1.4 trinity in place should be their first priority after putting up the f/2.8 zoom trinity (and they kinda, sorta did that... with a little help from their friends Smile). I heard something about the 85/1.4 being the next in line. And since the MP evolution isn't likely to stop at 36, they're making sure the K-1 II (42 megapixels at the very least...) isn't going to contend with lenses whose performance limit is exhausted. It's a good idea - and financially beneficial for the gyms and manual therapists too. Smile

I have always struggled with heavy equipment, because severe back problems. Although I liked the size of my 40D and 5D. And I alwayss wanted to upgrade to a 6D. But due to the fact I became more limited, I now have a 600D, also because of the articulated screen.

Just last week I bought a 40D again to sell for charity and I was amazed how bulky and heavy it was. It made me wonder if I would ever buy a larger camera again, now I have become so used to the 600D. I own a 24-105mm as well, but it is bulky as well and hence I do not like it.

Even if my back problems would go away, then I don't know if I would buy a 6D or just stick with smaller camera's and lighter lenses.

Quality is important to me, but if I see how much better any Dslr is in comparing to scanned slide film, then I choose for convenience over the best camera or lenses, which are heavier.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Quote:Voigtlander to the rescute, just in time:

35/1.4 for Sony E mount:

[Image: 01.jpeg]

40/1.2 for Sony E-Mount:

[Image: 02.jpeg]

These are smart-manual focus lenses like Zeiss Loxia which means while being completely mechanical, they still transfer full EXIF data to the camera body and even activate MF-Assist when you turn the focus ring.

The 35mm f/1.4 "classic" probably translates to "mediocre".
Yeah, noticed later that it was just a redesign or their most unattractive 35mm offering.

Quote:The 35mm f/1.4 "classic" probably translates to "mediocre".
Only one way to learn... Big Grin But a lot of people enjoy the "lo fi" look (only they prefer to call it "character").