Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions for an image browser
Hi all, I need a good image brosser for Windows that would be fast, able to group raw plus jpg versions of each shot (and would delete both together) being able to batch rename files (again renaming both) 
if it can download photos from camera and recognize which pictures on camera have been download which haven't that would be a plus
I have been using ACDSee in the last 20 years. The Ultimate version is really good and fast. However, when it comes to download from a memory card and handle metadata and so on, I use Photo Mechanic which is even faster. Both are working well for culling.
I have to say, however, that the features you require are pretty much standard in the commercial browsers nowadays (and even in a few of the opensource ones), so shouldn't be a problem at all.
I use Faststone image viewer! It links to photo programs and can with a right click use a processing program.....PS Photoimpact...Irfinview etc.

It also has some processing simple features!

........and it's free!
I have it on my laptop (as it's light) and it works well, but I am not sure it has the requested features, above all when it comes to manage the downloads in a smart way. Photo Mechanic keeps track of the previous downloads on each card and skip the already downloaded files. ACDSee gives the same possibility, although in a different way.
do they group raw and jpg versions ?
Lightroom.
geeqie (linux only though). Very fast and handles raw + jpg
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(04-02-2018, 07:48 AM)exuvia Wrote: I have it on my laptop (as it's light) and it works well, but I am not sure it has the requested features, above all when it comes to manage the downloads in a smart way. Photo Mechanic keeps track of the previous downloads on each card and skip the already downloaded files. ACDSee gives the same possibility, although in a different way.

(04-02-2018, 06:46 PM)toni-a Wrote: do they group raw and jpg versions ?

Photo Mechanic: yes
Faststone: yes
ACDsee: even though I've been using it for years... I don't know, as I have never needed this features.

I suggest you to take a look to Digikam also, which is available for Win too, powerful and opensource.
I'm sure there are others around, I just know about those.

Photo Mechanic and Faststone are the only two in this list to be real browser and not more else. The others are complete image management programs with a lot more than just what you are looking for, so they are good options only if you are looking for something to do a complete management, including DAM.

If you are looking for a cheap or free option, Faststone will do.

If you are using Nikon, try also their ViewNX, free too. If I remember correct it groups jpg+raw. Of course it works only with NEF

If you are ok with spending money, Photo Mechanic is the best of them all in what it does (amazing keywording capabilities, btw), but it's a little overpriced, IMHO.
(04-03-2018, 08:59 AM)exuvia Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 07:48 AM)exuvia Wrote: I have it on my laptop (as it's light) and it works well, but I am not sure it has the requested features, above all when it comes to manage the downloads in a smart way. Photo Mechanic keeps track of the previous downloads on each card and skip the already downloaded files. ACDSee gives the same possibility, although in a different way.

(04-02-2018, 06:46 PM)toni-a Wrote: do they group raw and jpg versions ?

Photo Mechanic: yes
Faststone: yes
ACDsee: even though I've been using it for years... I don't know, as I have never needed this features.

I suggest you to take a look to Digikam also, which is available for Win too, powerful and opensource.
I'm sure there are others around, I just know about those.

Photo Mechanic and Faststone are the only two in this list to be real browser and not more else. The others are complete image management programs with a lot more than just what you are looking for, so they are good options only if you are looking for something to do a complete management, including DAM.

If you are looking for a cheap or free option, Faststone will do.

If you are using Nikon, try also their ViewNX, free too. If I remember correct it groups jpg+raw. Of course it works only with NEF

If you are ok with spending money, Photo Mechanic is the best of them all in what it does (amazing keywording capabilities, btw), but it's a little overpriced, IMHO.
Many thanks, I will give faststone a try for sure.
My main workflow is Canon and I am happy with Canon software.
However I bought a new Sony A6000 camera for my wife I am using occasionally, and I need a software to manage its files.
What I like about "Faststone" is, it becomes a hub for all other PP programs at a single right click: "Edit with external program"..