Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French review of the Pentax K1 II and it's revised AF-C.
I meant if they require computing capabilities the camera processor can't handle
But there's no risk of that, isn't it? They're programming for a very specific platform. And it wouldn't normally make the system unstable, just slow.
This FW business has gone off at a tangent here ........somewhat!

...and no it isn't like installing Windows......
Many are installing magic lantern on Canon 50D to have video capabilities, and many are having issues with it, dunno how it would go with Pentax, of course it would be nice to have firmware update on older cameras to improve AF, myself I installed a third party firmware on my old 300D to enable choosing AF modes and ISO 3200, but in that case it was just to enable functions intentionally disabled by manufacturer to force you to buy the pricier 10D. No issues here mostly because 300D is practically a firmware castrated 10D with minor other changes
It's true that in the past Magiclantern and also another was available for Pentax.....but just the K5...I've forgotten the name..it enabled access to the internal settings....I used it for further AF adjustment.....again on a Sigma lens.

The FWs discussed here would be official FWs calling for improved AF-C........and as yet do not even exist.
Magic Lantern is a 3rd-party/hacked product. It works by activating features which were not QA-tested on that specific hardware, no wonder there are issues.

OTOH, Pentax is pretty much bulletproof with their firmware updates. They're not 100% bug-free - no significant software is - but there aren't major issues either.
Pentax has a good track record, and judging them by someone else's is... unless you want to spread FUD about the upcoming camera's much needed AF improvements? I hope that's not the case.
If you read posts of 10 years ago or so, sure, "many" have issues with Magic Lantern. But currently? No. And is ML "activating" features? No. ML developers create their own features.
So they improved through user testing. This only reinforces my point - we have no reason to expect instability due to the new AF algorithms, in the official Pentax firmware.
(04-09-2018, 10:18 AM)Kunzite Wrote: So they improved through user testing. This only reinforces my point - we have no reason to expect instability due to the new AF algorithms, in the official Pentax firmware.

That's of course if there ever will be any FWs?......I had many Pentaxs many years and the only three that were genuine upgrades were..

......faster focusing on the K01......useful!

...... larger buffer on the K3......from 8-23 RAW shots....and the most eccentiel, the FW that stopped the "mirror- machine gun issue"....
   ....when they released it they were very careful not to mention this clattering mirror problem.......Pentax absolutely "had" to do something about that!

Like Nikon, Pentax see a new feature as an opportunity to release a new camera.....and are reluctant to give anything new in a nice free FW!
I'm talking about the K-1 II's firmware with the new AF algorithms.