Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sample gallery Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 USM L IS
https://photozone.smugmug.com/Canon-EF-8...-USM-L-IS/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Canon are weird, they launch 85f1.4 IS just between 85f1.8 and Canon 85f1.2 without fearing cannibalizing the other 85mm lenses sales, when it comes to updating the 50f1.4 between 50f1.2 and 50f1.8 they feel cannibalization.....
Back to the photos, it seems to handle quite well 5Dsr sensor, with good color rendering, won't ask my recurrent question for portraits and skin tones.
BTW I used 85f1.2 on 5 Dsr and was amazed made a 50x70cm prints and it was as good as it could be, if this one is as good, then we have a clearly winning lens
I'd say that cannibalizing is irrelevant as long as the total outcome is higher. Whether this is the case here ... well, donnu ...

I'd certainly prefer the f/1.4 here because it's way sharper. However, the IS sucks.

Congratulations for being the only test-site North of the Southpole doing a review of a portrait lens without a portrait sample. Think different ...

Big Grin
(04-12-2018, 10:33 PM)Klaus Wrote: I'd say that cannibalizing is irrelevant as long as the total outcome is higher. Whether this is the case here ... well, donnu ...

I'd certainly prefer the f/1.4 here because it's way sharper. However, the IS sucks.
Lenstip finds that the IS is very efficient.
(04-12-2018, 10:39 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Congratulations for being the only test-site North of the Southpole doing a review of a portrait lens without a portrait sample. Think different ...

Big Grin

Sorry, will not hire a model to make you happy.

(04-13-2018, 06:54 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 10:33 PM)Klaus Wrote: I'd say that cannibalizing is irrelevant as long as the total outcome is higher. Whether this is the case here ... well, donnu ...

Lenstip finds that the IS is very efficient.

Conversely, I didn't get a sharp shot at 1/20sec - despite an obvious IS effect in the viewfinder.

(04-13-2018, 10:04 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 10:39 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Congratulations for being the only test-site North of the Southpole doing a review of a portrait lens without a portrait sample. Think different ...

Big Grin

You don't have to do anything to make me happy, after all it's a Canon lens. I've nothing to plug it in.  Tongue And I don't think DPReview, Lensrentals, Lenstip, Photographylife ever hired a model to show portrait capabilities of a lens... I just say, hiring a model is not the only possibility.
Big Grin 
(04-13-2018, 10:32 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:

Big Grin

You don't have to do anything to make me happy, after all it's a Canon lens. I've nothing to plug it in.  Tongue And I don't think DPReview, Lensrentals, Lenstip, Photographylife ever hired a model to show portrait capabilities of a lens... I just say, hiring a model is not the only possibility.

The thing is - this site is back in hobby mode and that means I'm doing things for fun only. Make your guess what I consider to be the most boring photo discipline of them all.  :-)

(04-13-2018, 10:41 AM)Klaus Wrote:

Big Grin

The thing is - this site is back in hobby mode and that means I'm doing things for fun only. Make your guess what I consider to be the most boring photo discipline of them all.  :-)

Racing cars are not often seen here.  Rolleyes
(04-13-2018, 10:54 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 10:41 AM)Klaus Wrote:

Big Grin

Racing cars are not often seen here.  Rolleyes

I could help you with a Pajero Sport. But that "Sport" is different. ;-)