Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Noise Reduction
I just had a look at the NVIDIA article over at dpreview - quite fascinating I have to say.
In the related comments, I stumbled across AI Clear from Topaz Labs.

Did someone try that one?

Ref.:
https://topazlabs.com/ai-clear/

It looks quite impressive actually.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The old battle between details vs. noise. On the topazlabs website, the "after"-samples first appeared good and then I realized partly a lot of loss in structures and details. The NVidia approach looked better to my eyes and compared to the best the sensor could do.

Like the wall structure (in the "reduce artifacts" sample). The "remove noise" sample looks to me like two idnetical pictures, sorry. Maybe I suffer of noise-ignorance?

These days, a lot of software companies put an AI-label on their packs. Like "Bio" in the 80's, "HiFi" in the 70's. Apparently lost details remain lost if the noise exceeds a certain level in a region.
I agree that the denoised samples don't look overly suitable for getting an idea.
The sharpening looks quite impressive though.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
That's true. But even here, the window-frames get much and cleaner better contours, while the brickwalls smear together to a kind of terracotta surface. I always prefer to keep the impression of texture and surface structure then getting a noise free, yet a bit plasticky looking image. It's not always that easy to tell what's noise (of the sensor) and what's noise coming from fine structures (in the real life).

I'm used to Capture One's clarity and structure slider, these are neitehr artificial nor ntelligent, just dumb pieces of code, but doing what I want.
Nice to see the marketing name - "The First Desktop Application for AI Noise Removal."
Yes the smartphones already have it for years and is almost for free.
Maybe one day we can just describe the picture we thought we were going to take and the AI can produce that picture without the need for a camera ?
(07-15-2018, 01:10 AM)you2 Wrote: Maybe one day we can just describe the picture we thought we were going to take and the AI can produce that picture without the need for a camera ?

I thinks that we are not far away, If I look at my dochter what she is doing with those modern apps.
I cannot follow the latest trends but I like the AI photoalbums. They recognize people, their relation, ages etc. That on top of gps info makes manual tagging a history..
The development in this area is going with high pace. I still remember the time when manual album organization was modern feature :-)