Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 EF announced
https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/pro...hp?seq=380

I reckon that we have to start testing Samyangs now - they have surpassed Tokina already I reckon.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
"We"?

Is there currently anybody else than you testing anything?
They are manufacturing very interesting, affordable and compact lenses lately! (with AF)
Klaus: do you plan on testing the new Sony FE ones any time soon? (35 and 24 f2.8)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-19-2018, 06:30 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: "We"?

Is there currently anybody else than you testing anything?

According to some legends Markus has finalized the analytics of two lenses on the D850 ;-)

And he was in a cave somewhere in the Gobi desert to do so?
What ever happened to the 3rd PZ-er?
Someone compared the block diagrams of the original Samyang 85/1.4 and the new AF one and... you guessed it... they are the same. Guess that gives you the rought idea of what the end user has to expect quality-wise. Looks like the 5DSR is going to shred it but it's gonna be semi-decent on 21MP. (like this: http://opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/48...5d?start=1)
(06-19-2018, 11:51 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: And he was in a cave somewhere in the Gobi desert to do so?

The thing is - we all had and have main jobs.
Seb became a father a couple of years ago - and that was it for him.
Markus, and to some degree also me, are at an age where the health of our parents are becoming an issue - making things difficult and harder to plan. At the end of the day, this has a higher priority.

(06-19-2018, 05:22 PM)Rover Wrote: Someone compared the block diagrams of the original Samyang 85/1.4 and the new AF one and... you guessed it... they are the same. Guess that gives you the rought idea of what the end user has to expect quality-wise. Looks like the 5DSR is going to shred it but it's gonna be semi-decent on 21MP. (like this: http://opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/48...5d?start=1)

At least, it is different to the current manual focus Samyang 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC Aspherical.
The design is very similar (albeit not identical) and Samyang's own MTFs do differ as well.

It looks nice but bit curious why an EF lens where there are already gazillion quality 85mm; would think they would pick a mount that has less competition. Besides according to rumours EF is dead it just doens't know yet Smile
(06-20-2018, 07:22 AM)you2 Wrote: It looks nice but bit curious why an EF lens where there are already gazillion quality 85mm; would think they would pick a mount that has less competition. Besides according to rumours EF is dead it just doens't know yet Smile

None yet (that I'm aware of) that might be called a "consensus" 85mm lens, at least not in the EF mount. Canon 1.2? Slow AF, FBW, huge price. Canon 1.8? "Only" 1.8 and there are reports of it not being sharp enough wide open. Canon 1.4 IS? Very expensive. Sigma EX? Old and AF issues. Sigma A? Too big, possible AF issues? Tamron 1.8? It's a Tamron at 1.8, duh. Samyang MF? Duh, stone age operation. Zeiss? MF and expensive. This Samyang has a chance to add another option that may be optimal for some/many users.

These are not my attitudes, mind you, just a digest of what I've heard over the years of scavenging in the internet fora. I was never able to choose a 85 for myself, although I came close to pulling the trigger on the Tamron 85.