Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.2 Aspherical
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtland...index.html
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Must be a very limited production target?
The coatings are made of dried unicorn toe-nails. Not so easy to get by.

Wait: They have them in f/1.1, f/1.2, f/1.4 - where's my f/1.3 I'm finding hard to live without? Running out of apertures or whuttt?
I see f1.5, so there is even room for f1.3 AND f1.4!
Hey, com'on! It's nice to have them around. Sometimes they are coming up with a real gem. And the build quality is quite awesome really.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-19-2018, 10:43 PM)Klaus Wrote: Hey, com'on! It's nice to have them around. Sometimes they are coming up with a real gem. And the build quality is quite awesome really.
That's you, looking at it from the outside and your metal detector is beeping Big Grin

You keep on saying Fujinons have a great build quality - it's fair to say the outside finish looks great, but inside it's plastic fantastic... Anyway, Cosina also uses unicorn hoof to forge the housings and barrels... I'm sure about that, but where's my f/1.3? That's the important thing.
(07-19-2018, 10:43 PM)Klaus Wrote: Hey, com'on! It's nice to have them around. Sometimes they are coming up with a real gem. And the build quality is quite awesome really.

They may sometimes come out with a real gem, but come on... Another big aperture 50mm for the Leica M series? And the whole SL II series has disappeared, leaving only the 40mm f2 and 58mm f1.4 for Nikon, the last one never even was sold with Canon mount. A very strange company, that Cosina.
(07-20-2018, 06:08 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

They may sometimes come out with a real gem, but come on... Another big aperture 50mm for the Leica M series? And the whole SL II series has disappeared, leaving only the 40mm f2 and 58mm f1.4 for Nikon, the last one never even was sold with Canon mount. A very strange company, that Cosina.

They do these kind of projects in their spare time. Between grinding the lenses for Zeiss Otus.... everyone needs to have a hobby.
I tried voigtlander 20mmf3.5 and it's an absolutely fantastic lens, I used to say who would put his money on a f3.5 manual focus lens, after trying it, I find its price totally justified.
A friend of mine bought the 35mmf1.2 for Leica, he says he likes it as much as his Leica lenses.
a manual focus lens for a rangefinder camera that makes plenty of sense.
Now about those apertures, I think it's just new designs so a new name if there's a difference is better than mark 2 mark3, since this doesn't affect the sales of older one.
the difference isn't huge like Canon 50mm f1.2 and f1.4.
Those apertures for low light should be taken with grain of salt though, I read that Leica 35mmf1.4 and voigtlander 35mmf1.2 although aperture is different so shallower DOF, for Voigtlander, have the same T value and thus same low light capabilities
With digital, it is the sensor that limits the amount of light being used with bigger apertures. You can't call that T-stops.