Meike 6.5mm f/2.8 Circular Fisheye
Meike 50mm f/2
Yongnuo YN50mm f/1.4 (EOS)
Pixco 8mm f/3.8 Fisheye MFT
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese "cheapos"
I wonder if the lack of EXIF, the sample variation and the quality creep worry you as much when it concerns the Samyang lenses? Smile (though truth to be told, Samyang have lately redeemed themselves Smile)

I'm with you in that I'm not going to use all-dumb, manual focus lenses, but I can understand I'm in the minority overall, and that's fine by me. Smile
[/quote]

Which Samyang lenses? I don't own a genuine one, so I can't tell. The Irix lenses are probably built by Samyang, but these come with - tadaaa - EXIF Big Grin
[/quote]
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Both the Samyang lenses I have and have had, had the contacts and exif data!

My current 14mm F2.8 in the Nikon F mount only lacks AF, the aperture control from the body and exif. AFAIK.....all the later Nikon versions are chipped.

My previous and ubiquitous 8mm F3.5 fisheye also had exif and aperture control from the body...... the Pentax K mount version, all the K mount versions are also chipped.

Canon versions don't have any contacts and are therefore dumb!
Except of course the Samyang premium manual focus 50mm f1.2, 14mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.2 which have electronic aperture operation, and AF 14mm f2.8 and AF 85mm f1.4 which also offer AF on Canon EOS.
(08-16-2018, 02:11 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Except of course the Samyang premium manual focus 50mm f1.2, 14mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.2 which have electronic aperture operation, and AF 14mm f2.8 and AF 85mm f1.4 which also offer AF on Canon EOS.

Well there you go...............bags of exif!
(08-14-2018, 08:35 AM)Rover Wrote: ...
I'm with you in that I'm not going to use all-dumb, manual focus lenses, but I can understand I'm in the minority overall, and that's fine by me. Smile

Not really... In fact, I'm a little dumbfounded myself. I can't understand why anyone would consider a manual focus ~50mm (ff equiv), or greater, lens? There are plenty of reasonably priced OEM lenses that are inexpensive and plenty fast and are quite decent.

If I were to get a cheapie mf lens it would be some sort of specialty lens, uw/fisheye, that one, I wouldn't be using all the time and two, I can set the aperture and focal distance and go with it. But that's me...
I didn't visit this forum for a while because I dived deeply into stereo photography with DIY dual-camera rig.
The lenses I use now are E-mount Discover-HD (7Artisans) 25/1.8, and in the past - Meike 28/2.8 .

Believe it or not, both are optically great. Mechanically they have nice feel, but the distance- and aperture scales are just decorations. Though for planar photography (notice the terminology Smile ) this shouldn't be a big problem.

I just wish they have a kind of "preset" mechanism to conveniently open/restore aperture. Otherwise do not overlook them. For example, with Meike 28/2.8 you can make a pocket camera out of Sony Nex-C3.