Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor Z lens roadmap
(08-26-2018, 08:36 AM)Rover Wrote: Or eight copies of the new Canon 85/1.4 IS, with a few bucks left to fetch some beer. I know, I did a calculation when that Leica was released - just for fun. Smile
Can we come back to important topics? Please?

Which beer?
Prefer wine. Mostly white, lately. ;-)

Actually, industry is pushing FF called format becoming what medium format used to be. Highest imaging quality moving into even larger size with very premium prices. Probably good for them short term, blessing for some users, but with overall user base size and thus volume shrinking even faster.

Nikon for sure tried really hard to find a way to differentiate their new mirrorless offerring from Sony. Only one they could obviously find was oversized lens mount. Z6/7 looks nice. But there are also plenty of - for now at least - shortcomings. Deliberate DSLR line protectionism like one only yet XQ memory card. Rather poor battery life. Some UI quirks, like no drive mode direct access or slow AF point selection. AF overall leaves quite a lot to be desired. IBIS is finally there, but quite rough, not to be unexpected for first take. After a few days and reviews it is clear Z6/7 is a me to offering mainly preventing existing users to flee to Sony.

Longterm, oversized lens mount potentially enables higher quality lenses. True. Important if looking at charts. With drawbacks though. Already basic 1.8 lenses like 35 or 50 become large and expensive. 58/0,95 is from one angle a lighthouse lens indeed. From another angle, it is ridiculous. Useless for most of practical photography. Manual focus. Really? Standard view angle lens with built in tripod mount. Really? With size of the lens close to recently discussed Sigma 105/1,4, another example of fantastic but questioned lens.
(08-26-2018, 09:12 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 08:36 AM)Rover Wrote: Or eight copies of the new Canon 85/1.4 IS, with a few bucks left to fetch some beer. I know, I did a calculation when that Leica was released - just for fun. Smile
Can we come back to important topics? Please?

Which beer?

Dunno - I don't drink alcohol anyway. Tongue
Re: the Nikon Z lineup / roadmap, I think the 14-30mm lens with (apparent) front filter thread - and most certainly no bulbous front element - is the big news. Before that, we could only get front filters on 15mm lenses and up only (and even there, both versions of the Zeiss 15/2.8 require huge 95mm filters). Note: I'm not counting the rangefinder Voigtländers because they are a very different kind of beasts, and probably irrelevant for most anyway.
Hmmm, I wonder who will do the review of the Z lenses on OpticalLimits Big Grin