Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report: Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 HSM DG OS Contemporary
Fairly good ... except for the OS (as mentioned in a previous discussion):
http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...00400f563c
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Well, let's wait for Sigma to roll out the 80-400/4.5-5.6 Sport lens. Smile We know it's going to come around sooner or later.

P.S. No 21MP test this time around? Smile
I'm in Europe at the moment (a family affair) and can't work on the 21mp data. I thought it's better to publish something rather than nothing this month.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The size comparison picture at the end of your review appears to be off. Sigma is measuring ø 86.4 × 182.3 mm, Tamron ø 86.2 × 199 mm. The Tamron in real has the same ø and is longer. I know there's a hood on the Sigma but in reality both lenses feel very much the same. Even the weight difference is only 25 grams.

Details are different, though: While the Sigma can stop down to f/22, the Tamron maxes out at f32 (at 100 mm) and f/45 (at 400 mm). No idea when such an aperture might be helpful except the usual waterfalls? The Tamron does feature a lens collar, which is then mounted on the metal part of it's barrel (thanks Tamron, for doing this right) and has, no, is an Arca type plate.

And the focus limiter is one of the coolest I know. It works like all the others but can also be set (via Tap-In console) to a mode where the range of distance depends on the chosen limit AND on the position of the distance ring while activating it. Say, limit is 3 m and focus ring shows 2 m when switching to focus limit = range is 1.5 - 3 m. Same limit, but focus ring shows 5 m when switching "Limit" on : range will be 3 m - ∞.

Fuji engineers, are you listening? With your expensive, non-linear focus by wire, small tripod plate, zoom-creeping 100-400? Go and send a trainee over to Tamron, they know how to do things! Big Grin

I look forward to read the Tamron review but I keep thinking in the (affordable) tele-zoom range no other manufacturer comes close to Tamron. Not only the performance (aside from slow lens) but the details really make me happy.
Of course I didn't mean to push you, Klaus. You've already given us two reviews this month, which is par for the course, and that's despite the problem you had. God bless you for what you're doing.
(08-25-2018, 05:44 PM)Klaus Wrote: I'm in Europe at the moment (a family affair) and can't work on the 21mp data. I thought it's better to publish something rather than nothing this month.

Hope everything goes well with your family, that's the most important
With the focus limiter on, the Sigma focusses faster than the Tamron and as fast as the Canon. The Sigma is also optically the best of the bunch (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi...&APIComp=1 and on Lenstip it beats the Canon in some regions and is equal in others). And it is weather sealed, according to Sigma it has a "dust- and splash-proof design" (it also has a rubber ring at the mount which should be a good hint).
The stabilisation isn't as bad as stated here. https://www.lenstip.com/502.3-Lens_revie...ation.html (around 3.7-3.8EV).
I have used this lens many times, also compared it to the Canon 100-400 II and Tamron 100-400, but I can recommend it to everyone whose looking for a longer telezoom.