Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrorless and dust, did Canon find the solution ?
(09-07-2018, 01:08 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: I think a shutter is basically useless to change the lens. If there's dust or mositure to protect the sensor (glass) from, it will remain on the shutter. As soon as I'm done with lens change, allt his particles will not disappear in thin air, but remain between lens and sensor.
Also, all DSLRs have a closed shutter at the moment of lens change. Does it prevent any dust particle to finally land on the sensor? Not at all.

I rather prefer easy access to clean the sensor. That is a system downside of mirrorless (and interchangeable backs). The shutter is kind of false security and obican is right. In case of a defect it's an expensive repair. It doesn't matter if it's fingerprint or particle, the glass is easier to clean than a thin sheet of metal. You guys considered it's a marge larger hole in the body and less deep as well?

Yes, of course, I certainly did consider that. However, the diameter of any lens for it, including any adapter, is such that it is virtually impossible to touch the shutter, unless you deliberately stick your finger in. As mentioned, I never ever touched a mirror on any of the slr's and dslr's I owned, and I always had interchangeable focusing screens as well, BTW.

I think the shutter is a nice touch. It does prevent some dust ingress when the sensor is at its most vulnerable.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
It's a dust delay, nothing else Big Grin

And I tend to forget the moments when I acted like a stupid donkey on dope. Could not say how often I scratched a matte screen with a brush whe I tried to remove dust form it (not knowing it's usually on the inside). But I'm sure your memories of your lens changes during the past 30 years are flawless and acurate. Wink
(09-07-2018, 01:44 PM)obican Wrote: The lens mount is rather large and if your lens or adapter has a small protrusion, it might hit the shutter as it's much closer to the mount than you think it is. Even some old m39 lenses might be serious offenders.

Also something tells me that if the shutter closes as soon as a lens is removed and only opens back up if the connection is reestablished, it might get tricky to use third party dumb adapters with no electrical contacts.

Come on, obican. I have used Pentax K and M42 lenses on my Canon's, which have extruding parts. Those sit right where yoiu are close to the mirror. Never a problem. Same with M42: do note that I actually use Metabones adapters, which progressively stick further into the "mirrorbox", to a degree that the XL actually just/just not touches the framing screen in front of the shutter. Never a problem.

The same is true for lenses like the old Leica ones. EOS R has the same sensor to flange distance as Leica has - 20 mm. Nobody ever complained about that. And a sensor, BTW, or sensor filter stack, is much more vulnerable than a shutter is, as it is not flexible and/or bendy, and scratches quite easily, unlike the titanium blades of a shutter.

The moment you add an adapter with a non-EOS R lens, it is impossible to insert any part of that combination far enough into the camera that you actually touch the shutter. If that was the case, you could do so with a proper EOS-R lens as well. And it does not matter whether you would attach the adapter first, or the lens plus adapter straight away.

If you do want to get worried about a camera system with that potential, consider the Nikon Z-system. 16 mm flange distance, and a slightly larger mount, plus a zillion lenses that have protruding parts.

Honestly, if there is a person so clumsy they fully stick their paws into a camera and touch shutter or sensor, they shouldn't own a camera with interchangeable lenses. A lens with or without an adapter won't be able to get there, only a finger will, and only if it is done deliberately. And that has always been the case, with any ILC.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Hello,...

I am a amateur photographer. I work for a local magazine and I also do personal portfolio shoots. 
I use DSLR-A700 model and i am very happy with the image results of my camera....
but, I have one issue with my camera and that it gets covered with dust very often and I have clean it every single time of use... This is really frustrating... Please tell me any solution to this.
Sony a700 is an SLR not mirrorless and shouldn't be that prone to dust unless you are shooting in dusty environments and swap lenses very often.
All modern cameras have solutions to dust and prices dropped significantly, I suggest you upgrade to a modern camera
Sony SLT no dust on sensor it's on mirror, have mo idea about life in SLT world, Sony E dust is a true nightmare.
dust has never been an issue on my 750D or 7Dmkii, I never saw a single dust spot