Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica L lens roadmap

• APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH. (2019)

• APO-Summicron-SL 50mm f/2 ASPH. (2019)

• APO-Super-Summicron-SL 21mm f/2 ASPH. (2020)

• APO-Summicron-SL 24mm f/2 ASPH. (2020)

• APO-Summicron-SL 28mm f/2 ASPH. (2020)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
APO means apocalyptic prices, no?  Sad
Wait till you see the price of the APO-Super (21mm) ...
Well, that's interesting: all apochromatic lenses! On one hand that's very interesting for the performance of the lenses... on the other hand, it cheapens it a bit if ALL your lenses are Apochromatic.

This is definitely an interesting time for photography.
Leica seems to use APO a bit too often...
(09-26-2018, 12:53 PM)WyldRage Wrote: ...on the other hand, it cheapens it a bit if ALL your lenses are Apochromatic.

"Cheapens" in Leicaish means not over 10k$?

I'd say, it "expensives", because if they really go apochromatic, most people know it's equal to "open your pockets wiiiiiiide".

Yes, it's very interesting times. Can't recall any Photokina with this much of surprises and unexpected items or collaborations.
(09-26-2018, 03:55 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 12:53 PM)WyldRage Wrote: ...on the other hand, it cheapens it a bit if ALL your lenses are Apochromatic.

"Cheapens" in Leicaish means not over 10k$?

I'd say, it "expensives", because if they really go apochromatic, most people know it's equal to "open your pockets wiiiiiiide".

Yes, it's very interesting times. Can't recall any Photokina with this much of surprises and unexpected items or collaborations.

I see it like this: if you put APO next to your lens, I expect it to be like a G-lens for Sony or a L-lens for Canon, a lens with optics as close to perfect as you can get. 

Now, when all your lenses are in the L-line, or the G-line, or APO, it doesn't mean anything at all anymore. If everything is special, nothing is.
Not with Leica. If they make an APO lens, it is APO - and I don't know if any of the Canon L- or Sony G lenses are apochromatic corrected. Do you know what this means of extra effort? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apochromat

If Sony decides to offer only G-lenses or Sigma only Art lenses, you were right. But at the cost of a normal Leica lens, this extra of color correction doesn't matter that much as if it would affect a 500$ lens.

It's not just a Leica marketing name - it does tell more about the character of the lens, than just a geeky G or L or goldring blabla.
Sorry, I though they were Panasonic lenses. If they are Leica lenses, then yes I expect them to be of superior design and close to or above $10k