Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test report: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L
Great comprehensive review especially with the bokeh images !

Apart from some vignetting there's nothing to criticize.....and will produce images other lenses cannot...this will will certainly help Canon ML sales..........even if by it's aspirational qualities alone!
  .......Seems little point now in buying an  MF  less bright Otus 50mm these days!

Nikon had an opportunity  to do the same with it's S range.......but  didn't.

It got my lens of the year......at least for Canon.....

The AF-S 500mm FL F5.6  ................for Nikon.
Nikon has the time to follow, they have the mount to make a similar design. And still, they have a very good and much more affordable 50mm f1.8 which Canon lacks at the moment. So it depends how you look at it.

And uhmm... There is no Otus 50mm Wink.
(12-05-2018, 08:58 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Nikon has the time to follow, they have the mount to make a similar design. And still, they have a very good and much more affordable 50mm f1.8 which Canon lacks at the moment. So it depends how you look at it.

And uhmm... There is no Otus 50mm Wink.

Normally I'm happy of being within an inch of spot on.............

.........here I've excelled myself..........it's less than a quarter of an inch!

Nikon may have time to follow.......but old farts like me need glass somewhere between now and my chronological buffer!
The Canon 50mm f1.2 is almost $2000 more expensive than the Nikkor 50mm f1.8. Would you seriously consider buying a €2500 50mm lens? I think Nikon was smart to bring a high quality f1.8 prime.
(12-05-2018, 11:31 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The Canon 50mm f1.2 is almost $2000 more expensive than the Nikkor 50mm f1.8. Would you seriously consider buying a €2500 50mm lens? I think Nikon was smart to bring a high quality f1.8 prime.

I have the Nikkor AF-S 50mm F1.8G lens....(a fair optic).......even though 50mm is not my favourite FL.

.........however, this is a lens site and we talk about lenses here.......I'm sure nobody is going to wet themselves over a review of my Nikkor.......as I'm sure many will have done over this Canon........

........So, every lens has it's applications and every application has it's attractors........

......these attractors have little choice of at this level...........and I'm sure they wouldn't wet themselves over the Nikkor F1.8, who should have produced an F1.4 to keep things affordable.

If Canon hadn't nailed all aspects of it's IQ I would have agreed with you.......

.......but they have, so I don't!

....(Ah ha!... I did spent that on the Nikkor AF-S 500mm F4D though...go figure?)
(12-05-2018, 11:31 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The Canon 50mm f1.2 is almost $2000 more expensive than the Nikkor 50mm f1.8. Would you seriously consider buying a €2500 50mm lens? I think Nikon was smart to bring a high quality f1.8 prime.

All depends on what I am going to do with it, if I will make prints I would sell or I am in professional business and need gear to impress potential clients, absolutely !!!
Otherwise (such is my case) no
(12-06-2018, 12:10 AM)toni-a Wrote:

All depends on what I am going to do with it, if I will make prints I would sell or I am in professional business and need gear to impress potential clients, absolutely !!!

Reminds me of this picture - they were probably laughing at the puny 50/1.8 lens I was using. Smile
[Image: Ka4hE3ipYr0.jpg]
(the shot was indeed taken with a 50/1.8 lens on a Canon 1D Mark II N camera Smile)
(12-06-2018, 11:34 AM)Rover Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 12:10 AM)toni-a Wrote:

Reminds me of this picture - they were probably laughing at the puny 50/1.8 lens I was using. Smile
[Image: Ka4hE3ipYr0.jpg]
(the shot was indeed taken with a 50/1.8 lens on a Canon 1D Mark II N camera Smile)

Not sure if they had fr a second thought about photography gear.....
Back to our subject, obviously such a lens doesn't offer much interest  for a photojournalist...it's just like having a huge SUV in crowded city
FWIW, the RF 24-105mm will come in on Thursday.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I tested the RF 24-105 a while ago and compared it to the EF 24-105/4 L II. The RF is much sharper. What do you think about the feel of the RF L lenses? I think they do not feel as sturdy as the EF L lenses or Sigma Art lenses.