Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S announced
The MTFs are looking quite good

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_14-30mmf4s/index.htm
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Wait until you see how the distortions look like  Dodgy

But the overall view is rather compact and light (less than 500 grams). And a filter thread of ø 82 mm - cool. Definitely worth to look at it. Also, it comes before the longer ago announced 58/0.95
On the downside - at least I am not sold on the retractable design. Even less so at that price point.

You don't need to be sold, just buy it...  [Image: rolleyes.png]

I don't have a problem with retractable lenses (I only have one, so it would be singular anyway), but I do have one with the magenta / green circled spots round highlights. And this is a very wide angle, so no matter how well it performs - flare resistance is key. If that'd be bad I rather stick with the Sigmas. Although weather sealing and extending tubes are not going too well in my book.

1300 US $ is alright if it's delivering great images.

Hey Klaus, you always wanted light and small lenses. Now you have one, and you still complain. You can still use your funky Laowas  Tongue
Do note it doesn't feature VR, Nikon is relying on IBIS
You surpass yourself with superfluous commentary.
(01-08-2019, 11:30 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: You don't need to be sold, just buy it...  [Image: rolleyes.png]

I don't have a problem with retractable lenses (I only have one, so it would be singular anyway), but I do have one with the magenta / green circled spots round highlights. And this is a very wide angle, so no matter how well it performs - flare resistance is key. If that'd be bad I rather stick with the Sigmas. Although weather sealing and extending tubes are not going too well in my book.

1300 US $ is alright if it's delivering great images.

Hey Klaus, you always wanted light and small lenses. Now you have one, and you still complain. You can still use your funky Laowas  Tongue

You may notice that the last review of the Laowa 15 was far from positive (and I gave up on the 10-18).

Regarding the retractable design - I'm having doubts from a mechanical perspective. Based on what I've seen so far such lenses are more prone to centering issues. You may argue that there haven't been any high-end lenses with this mechanism but still ...

Looks like the first lens which could make me thinking of selling all my Canon DSLR gear and going to mirrorless - Nikon branded of all things. Smile

14mm capability with filters (just 82mm sized, to boot) is pretty rad.
This is a very interesting lens indeed.
I haven't considered the Z system but this lens is very attractive.
It's very compact for its specs: it's about the same size as the Fuji 10-24 f/4. 1mm wider for 6mm shorter but the equiv aperture is more interesting.
The 24-70 f4 is also interesting although too short. I'd have loved a 20-70 f4 instead ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Since I use the Z7, the Fuji basically is much less the portable option with great IQ - the Z7 simply is better. The teaser video of the upcoming eye-detect AF also looks promising. A 20-70 would just have more distortions on the short end than the 24-70 already "shines" with.